Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 17

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI pays a visit to MARK who has just quit the the process of becoming a member of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity.

(MARK gets up and goes out of his room. He looks at KEVIN's door which is closed. KEVIN has a small Iota Phi Theta paddle dangling from his doorknob. MARK walks toward the door and picks up the paddle. He stares at it, then quietly opens KEVIN's door.)

MARK thinks - Damn man, I still kinda want this...but...it ain't worth all the bullshit.

(MARK walks in the room. He looks at a picture on KEVIN's dresser. It's of KEVIN's first trip to the Philly Greek picnic. There are a lot of Iota brothers in the picture.)

MARK thinks - That shit is probably mad fun.

(There is a knock on the door.)

MARK thinks - Oh shit!

(He quietly but quickly leaves KEVIN's room and closes the door. He then looks through the peephole.)

MARK thinks - Dammit!

DR. MWATSUMI - Open the door Mark. I know you're in there.

(MARK hesitates.)

MARK thinks - Should I open? Should I...wait, what the hell do I care? I'm not on line anymore!

(MARK opens the door.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Hello Mark.

MARK - Hi Dr. M.

DR. MWATSUMI - May I come in?

MARK - Sure, come on in.

(MARK steps aside to let DR. MWATSUMI in.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Is Kevin at home?

MARK - Oh no sir. He's not here. Just me.

DR. MWATSUMI - Okay good. I was going to ask him to leave if he was here. I would like to talk with you one on one.

MARK - Oh.

DR. MWATSUMI - Are you busy at the moment?

MARK - Uh...no. Now is a good time.

DR. MWATSUMI - Good. May I?

(DR. MWATSUMI points to a chair in MARK's room.)

MARK - Sure, go right ahead.

DR. MWATSUMI - Thank you. Mark, I heard from Sean that you have discontinued the process to become a brother. Is that true?

MARK - Yes.

(MARK sits down on his bed.)

DR. MWATSUMI - First off, are you sure this is a wise decision? How long did you take to think about this before you made your announcement to leave?

MARK - I don't know. I didn't spend a week pondering over it, but I just got fed up. I stopped seeing the value of what I was doing for what I was getting.

DR. MWATSUMI - And that is fine Mark. I totally understand what you're saying. This part of the brotherhood process can be extremely frustrating. I couldn't agree with you more.

MARK - Dr. M, no disrespect but I can't see how you can feel me on this.

DR. MWATSUMI - Excuse me?

MARK - Dr. M, you didn't have to worry about these dudes up on your back every fifteen minutes. You didn't have to worry about running behind these immature...excuse my Frech...assholes running stupid errands for them. You pledged grad chapter so you didn't have to...

DR. MWATSUMI - Stop right there! I do know what that's like! I was on line for Iota just like you! I had the same big brothers as you! I went through the same...excuse my French...bullshit pledge games and immature minds that you do! I crossed grad, but I was on line with Sean for over three weeks Mark.

MARK - Then why the hell did you pull that stupid stunt at the Que house on me and Dwayne?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEAH calls BUCK.

BUCK - Hello.

LEAH - I just want to ask you, why are you so willing to figure out ways to make relationships work now when you were so unwilling before?

BUCK - Leah?

LEAH - Yeah its me. Why you so willing to work stuff out now?

BUCK - Leah what are you talking about?

LEAH - I don't know if I appreciate the encounter we had in the bookstore. You just seem so willing to work things out with your girl now. Or your fiancee I should say. And back in the day, you were all about yourself. Every time we got into any kind of conflict, you'd bounce up out the crib and go shoot hoops.

BUCK - O...kay.

LEAH - So what gives Buck? What gives?

BUCK - Well honestly Leah, what difference does it make?

LEAH - I'm just curious. And a little pissed about it to be honest.

BUCK - Why are you pissed? You've got no reason to be pissed.

LEAH - But I am. Am I supposed to be? Probably not. But I am.

BUCK - I hear ya. Well Leah, I guess I'm a different person now. I guess I've grown some.

LEAH - Grown some.

BUCK - Yeah, grown some. I mean, when you and I dated, I was young, new on the basketball team, trying to make a name for myself. Even when I was new in the frat. So I didn't know a lot about life and especially love.

LEAH - And you know so much now?

BUCK - Well no, it isn't that. But I can say I've grown a lot. I try not to make the same mistakes I made with you.

LEAH - Oh so I was your test dummy?

(BUCK laughs.)

BUCK - No, I ain't sayin' that. But if I know I hurt you and we ended on bad terms, why would I want to repeat that in my next relationship?

(silence)

LEAH - Buck what happened? I mean, I thought we had something...like real.

BUCK thinks - Oh God!

BUCK - Leah, before I answer that, let me ask you something.

(silence)

BUCK - Leah, where is all this coming from?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARK - Dr. M, you didn't have to worry about these dudes up on your back every fifteen minutes. You didn't have to worry about running behind these immature...excuse my Frech...assholes running stupid errands for them. You pledged grad chapter so you didn't have to...

DR. MWATSUMI - Stop right there! I do know what that's like! I was on line for Iota just like you! I had the same big brothers as you! I went through the same...excuse my French...bullshit pledge games and immature minds that you do! I crossed grad, but I was on line with Sean for over three weeks Mark.

MARK - Then why the hell did you pull that stupid stunt at the Que house on me and Dwayne?

(silence)

MARK - If you agree with me, why did you pull such a stupid stunt?

DR. MWATSUMI - Mark, you have to understand, you are on one side of the fence. I am on the other. You have to be able to differentiate stupid stunts from activities that build brotherhood and bonding.

MARK - Brotherhood and bonding? Are you serious? Dr. Mwatsumi, do you know how ugly that situation could've been? Do you know how we could've gotten our asses kicked over that shit? First of all, just breaking into their house was bad enough. Over some stupid personal vendetta with Sean. But for you to send us back up in there...that was wrong.

DR. MWATSUMI - Mark, understand this. I am not about placing brothers in compromising positions that may harm them or others. I'm about...

MARK - That's exactly what you did! What are you talking about?

DR. MWATSUMI - Mark, I didn't cut you off, don't cut me off.

(MARK stops talking and nods.)

DR. MWATSUMI - If I thought for one second that for you and Dwayne to return that statue thing to the Omega house would result in you guys being harmed, I wouldn't have done it. The problem with the intake process now is that many brothers don't realize the power and authority given to them by their peers who want membership in these organizations. Therefore, since their peers are willing to do almost anything to get it, they posses a certain power over them. That can be very dangerous. I never expressed that type of power over you or Dwayne. Instead, I placed you in situations where you had to think quickly and react. Your response was what I was looking for and judging.

MARK - I'm sorry, I just don't believe that.

DR. MWATSUMI - You don't what?

MARK - I think you're saying that now because you want me to stay with this process. Fact is Dr. Mwatsumi, I could've gotten hurt out there. And so could Dwayne. You did put us in jeopardy. You can sugar coat it all you want. But I'm out. To hell with that. And if Dwayne isn't smart enough to see what I see, then good luck to him and more power to him.

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Well Mark, if your mind is quite made up...

MARK - It is.

DR. MWATSUMI - Fine.

(DR. MWATSUMI stands up and fixes his blazer.)

DR. MWATSUMI - It was a pleasure meeting you Mark. Good luck with your classes and the rest of the semester.

(DR. MWATSUMI extends his hand toward MARK. MARK takes his hand but looks confused.)

MARK - That's it? I mean, you're not gonna try to keep convincing me?

DR. MWATSUMI - Why should I? You've made up your mind.

(silence)

(DR. MWATSUMI takes his hand back and looks at his watch.)

DR. MWATSUMI - We don't need brothers that don't want to be here...

(DR. MWATSUMI turns to leave.)

DR. MWATSUMI - ...nor ones who don't capture our vision or have our passion. Or can get through our pledge process.

(He starts to leave.)

MARK - Wait a minute...what did you say?

DR. MWATSUMI - Huh? Oh nothing.

MARK - No, what did you say? Get through the pledge process? I know you ain't tryin' to use reverse psychology on me. And you think Dwayne is stronger than me?

(MARK starts laughing.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Laugh if you want.

(DR. MWATSUMI opens the door.)

DR. MWATSUMI - But Dwayne isn't a quitter.

(MARK yells out.)

MARK - Maybe he will be after I talk to him tonight!

DR. MWATSUMI - I doubt it.

(DR. MWATSUMI laughs as he lets the door close on its own behind him.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(JAY pushes ROBBIE and BANE gets up and grabs JAY's arm.)

KEN thinks - Oh shit!

(Both KEN and QUINTON stand up quickly.)

ROBBIE - Hey man chill!

(BANE takes a swing at JAY but misses, JAY swings back and hits BANE.)

KEN - Oh shit!

(BANE knocks over the glasses that are on the table. The table is pushed which makes KEN fall back into his seat. ERIC grabs KEN by his collar.)

KEN - Nigga get off me!

(KEN punches ERIC and they start to fight each other.)

JAY - I'm gonna kick your ass! Same some smart shit now motherfu...

(BANE punches JAY in the mouth and JAY wraps BANE's head in a headlock. They fall on top of the table.)

ROBBIE - Yo bros! Chill! Stop man!

BEN - You started this shit!

(BEN grabs ROBBIE but ROBBIE pushes him away. BEN backs into a girl by accident.)

QUINTON - Stop! Cool out!

(QUINTON tries to break up the fight.)

MONA - Look! What's goin' on over there? Is that a fight?

(MIKE and MONA have just walked in together, they look and see a commotion starting.)

MIKE - Oh shit! That's frat! Mona hold my cane, I'll be right back!

QUINTON - Guys! Guys!

(QUINTON looks up and sees three large bounces quickly coming their way.)

QUINTON - Oh shit! Yo! Stop! Kenny! Ke...

(QUINTON looks up again...and sees MIKE running up.)

QUINTON - Oh hell yeah!

(QUINTON steps from around the table and waves at MIKE to come forward. Everyone in the club is moving out of the area where the Alphas and Kappas are. Everyone else is staring.)

QUINTON - Oh I got something for your ass! Bring it on!

MIKE - You aint said nothin' bitch! What's up!

(A bouncer grabs JAY and pulls him off BANE. MIKE can't get to QUINTON. Another bouncer grabs ROBBIE and starts to push him toward the exit door.)

ROBBIE - Hey!

(The third bouncer grabs ERIC by one arm and BEN by another.)

BEN - Get off me man! Get off me!

(The three bouncers start to move all the guys toward the exit doors, through the crowd. QUINTON follows behind, as does BANE.)

BOUNCER - Yall niggas can fight out here all you want. But you ain't gonna tear up the club!

JAY - Man get off me!

(The bouncers push all the guys, both Alphas and Kappas outside.)

BOUNCER - And stay out! Don't let me catch one of yall back up in here tonight!

(The door slams. People in line in front of the club are looking.)

ROBBIE - Now look! How stupid is this shit! Now everybody calm the hell down! Shit!

(ROBBIE is holding his lip. BANE's mouth is bleeding as well.)

ROBBIE - What we need to do is...

(BANE punches JAY in the face and JAY falls back on a car.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEAH and BUCK are discussing BUCK's new attitude toward relationships.

BUCK - Leah, before I answer that, let me ask you something.

(silence)

BUCK - Leah, where is all this coming from?

(silence)

LEAH - Buck, we broke up. I can accept that. I think you can too. We had issues in our relationship so breaking up was probably the best thing.

BUCK - Okay.

LEAH - But I can't lie and say to see you have all the things that I only asked for nicely now...now that we're through...I don't know if I am happy for you and her or mad because its messed up now. It's like I cleaned you all up and got all that stupid stuff out of your head...just for her to enjoy.

(BUCK laughs again.)

BUCK - Wait wait, hold on. You think you made me a better person for June?

(LEAH laughs.)

LEAH - Hell yeah nigga!

BUCK - Oh please! Ha ha ha ha!

LEAH - Buck, you were rough around the edges, had them crusty ass lips, smelled like a locker room half the time, didn't know how to cook...shall I continue?

BUCK - But you liked me, so obviously I was doin' something right.

LEAH - I felt sorry for you.

(They both laugh.)

BUCK - Oh whatever! Ha ha ha ha!

LEAH - No but seriously.

BUCK - Okay seriously, I'm not sure if you really want to hear this.

LEAH - No, I want to hear it.

BUCK - Are you sure? I don't want to hurt your feelings Leah.

LEAH - I'm a big girl, I called you. I knew what I was getting into before I called.

BUCK - Okay.

(BUCK hesitates.)

BUCK - When I met June, I knew she was the one for me. I was captivated by her smile. That's why I'm always trying to make her laugh. And when we first started to have for real conversations, I saw what kind of person she was inside. June is the most genuine person with the sweetest personality. We just fit together. She's just...

LEAH - Buck you know what? Maybe you're right. Maybe I don't wanna hear all this.

BUCK - I didn't think so.

(silence)

LEAH - I'll talk to you later Buck.

BUCK - Are you okay?

LEAH - Yeah, I'll talk to you later.

BUCK - O...

(click)

(LEAH sits down on her bed and turns her tv on.)

(silence)

LEAH thinks - Wait...

(LEAH picks up her phone and dials.)

BUCK - Hello.

LEAH - Did you say from the first time you saw June you basically fell in love with her?

BUCK - Well I didn't say fall in love.

LEAH - But you knew from when you first laid eyes on her.

BUCK - Yeah. I said that.

(silence)

BUCK - Why?

LEAH - When you first met June, wasn't she still dating Derrick? And weren't you still with me?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The car alarms goes off as JAY falls on the hood. BANE tries to jump on him but JAY kicks him off.)

ROBBIE - Shit man stop!

(BANE and JAY go at it again but this time the Alphas and Kappas start to separate the two. QUINTON comes around the side of the group and sees MIKE and MONA walking out the front door of the club. QUINTON sees MIKE looking in his direction.)

MIKE - Stay here Mona.

MONA - But Mike...

MIKE - Stay here!

(MIKE takes off toward the group. The crowd from the front is starting to move closer so they can see.)

QUINTON - What's up Mike! What you want fool!

MIKE - I been waiting a long time to catch up with you Quinton.

(MIKE swings at QUINTON. QUINTON backs away but catches MIKE right across the jaw with a punch.)

MIKE - Oh!

(QUINTON punches MIKE in the face again and MIKE grabs QUINTON. They start to wrestle and fall onto a another car. QUINTON throws MIKE to the ground and falls on top of him.)

MIKE - Get the fuc...

(QUINTON punches MIKE in the face. MIKE hits QUINTON back but QUINTON gets in even another punch.)

MIKE - Get off me!

(MIKE grabs QUINTON's arm and they roll over on the ground.)

QUINTON - I'm tired...

(QUINTON tries to hit him again but MIKE blocks it.)

QUINTON - of your...shit!

(QUINTON reaches back to punch MIKE again until he feels a very sharp pain on the back of his neck.)

QUINTON - Ah! What the...

(HE turns around and sees MONA with MIKE's cane. She has hit him with it.)

QUINTON - What the hell!

(MIKE pushes QUINTON off of him and QUINTON falls on the ground. MIKE gets up and grabs his cane from MONA.)

MIKE - What the hell are you doing!

MONA - He was hurting you Mike!

MIKE - Get out of here before you get hurt!

MONA - But Mike...

MIKE - Come on!

(MIKE looks at QUINTON who is holding the back of his neck. KEN is coming over to help him.)

MIKE - Come on!

(MIKE grabs MONA's hand and starts to go through the crowd.)

MIKE - Oh damn!

(MIKE sees an Amgis campus police squad car pull up.)

MIKE - Let's get out of here!

(As the crowd starts to disperse, MIKE loses his grip on MONA's hand.)

MONA - Mike! Wait!

(MONA pushes her way through, but feels someone grab her arm.)

MONA - Mike?

(MONA looks up and sees RENEE holding her by her arm.)

No comments: