Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 20

MARK comes home from class and walks up to CENTAUR DWAYNE's door within their suite. He pauses before he knocks.

MARK - I hope this fool is here.

(MARK knocks)

MARK - And I really pray Kevin isn't.

(MARK looks at KEVIN's closed door. He notices the Iota Phi Theta paddle hanging from the door knob. He looks back at DWAYNE's door)

MARK thinks - Damn, maybe he's not...

(MARK hears something in DWAYNE's room)

MARK - Dwayne?

(silence)

MARK - Dwayne, it's me. Mark.

DWAYNE whispers - Are there any big brothers here?

MARK - No man. I wouldn't do that to you. Open up?

(The door slowly opens and DWAYNE peeks his head out.)

MARK - Come on man, open the damn door. Shit.

(DWAYNE opens, MARK walks in, DWAYNE closes it quickly.)

DWAYNE - What are you doing here?

MARK - Calm down D, I came to talk to you.

DWAYNE - Are you coming back? I spoke to Big Brother Scarface for you. I think they'll take you back man.

MARK - Thanks Dwayne, but I don't wanna come back.

DWAYNE - Yes you do man, look I know you got frustrated with the big brothers and all, I do too. But the end justifies the means. Ya know?

MARK - Dwayne...

DWAYNE - No let me finish.

MARK - Dwayne...

DWAYNE - Let me finish man, at least give me that respect.

MARK - Fine Dwayne. Fine. Finish.

DWAYNE - Look, I know these dudes have gotten on your nerves. I know I probably have gotten on your nerves. That's understandable. But we're here for each other. I know I got your back and I believe you got mine. So don't leave me hangin' now, especially when we need each other the most. I know you want Iota just as bad as I do. Come back Mark, let's do this, and then we can make the biggest impact Amgis' yard has ever seen.

MARK - That's my problem with you Dwayne. I don't see things the way you do. I don't see this as a great utopia anymore. I just don't. I used to but doing this process made me look at some things and look at them differently. I don't respect them the way I did. I saw them bickering and complaining over stupid shit and every day I wanted it less and less.

DWAYNE - That's not true because I saw you do this shit. I saw you do it with energy, because you wanted to. If you didn't want this, you could've quit a long time ago. But you stuck in there, you stuck the hell in there with me.

MARK - That's because I didn't want to be seen as a quitter. Now I don't care how they see me. I don't give a damn how they view me. I just wanna be done with it. I'm done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERIC is in his room and there is a knock on the door.

ERIC thinks - Damn, I'm not getting up.

(ERIC adjusts the pillow and rolls over. He has a headache and his face is still swollen from the fight.)

ERIC thinks - My head is killing me. Over some bullshit.

(There is a louder knock on the door.)

ERIC - Go away!

(ERIC picks up the pillow and covers his head with it.)

ERIC thinks - They'd better go away!

(ERIC's cell phone rings.)

ERIC thinks - This is probably Jay.

(He reaches for his phone which is beside him in bed.)

ERIC - Hello?

JESSICA - Eric!

ERIC - Yeah?

JESSICA - It's me. Are you home?

ERIC - Who is this?

JESSICA - It's Jessica!

ERIC - Oh. Jess. Yeah, I'm home why?

JESSICA - Then open up the door negro, I'm out here banging on it!

ERIC - You're what?

(ERIC pulls his head from under the pillow and looks at the front door.)

ERIC - You're what?

JESSICA - I'm in the hallway. Open the door.

ERIC thinks - Shit!

(silence)

ERIC - Aight, hold on.

(He hangs up and plops back down on the pillow.)

ERIC - Why me? Why today?

(He rolls out of bed and throws on a shirt. He walks to the door and opens it.)

ERIC - Hey.

JESSICA - Eric are you okay?

ERIC - Yeah, I'm cool.

JESSICA - Oh God, look at your face!

(JESSICA walks past ERIC into his room.)

ERIC - Jess...

JESSICA - Does your face hurt? You're all swollen.

ERIC - Jess...

JESSICA - And what are you doing out of bed? You need to be lying down.

ERIC - I was Jessica until...

JESSICA - Is there anything I can do for you Eric?

(silence)

ERIC - Uh...yeah. I just want to be left alone right now. Is that okay?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARK is talking to his former line brother DWAYNE.

MARK - I'm just done with it man.

(silence)

DWAYNE - Well if you're done, which I refuse to believe or accept...

(MARK sighs.)

DWAYNE - ...then what the hell are you doing here?

MARK - I'm here to talk to you man.

DWAYNE - For what? I hope you don't think you're gonna talk me out of going forward for Iota.

(silence)

DWAYNE - You came here to talk me into quitting too?

MARK - No Dwayne. If Iota Phi Theta is what you want, then by all means go for it. I just want to look out for you. I know the kinds of mind games them brothers are playing and I don't wanna see you get caught out there or hurt.

DWAYNE - Caught out there?

MARK - Dwayne, you have to admit, there are some things you are really good at. You have some definite strong points. But thinking fast on your feet isn't one of em. You aren't too swift D.

(MARK chuckles.)

DWAYNE - Excuse me?

MARK - What? Aw come on man, don't get pissed. But think about it, every time we got into a situation, I thought us out of it.

DWAYNE - And I carried your ass out of it! Don't trip Mark! It don't take a genius to see through pledge mind games okay! I don't appreciate you saying I'm stupid.

MARK - I didn't say you were stu...

DWAYNE - Well what you sayin'?

MARK - All I'm sayin' is that I don't want to see them niggas hurt you.

DWAYNE - Uh huh, yeah man. Well I tell ya what. Why don't you stop worrying about my ass gettin' hurt. Obviously your ass is so hurt that you droppin' line.

MARK - My reasons aint got nothin' to do with that and you know it.

DWAYNE - Whatever man. Call it what you want, but I'm a man of my word. I said I was gonna do this and I'm gonna finish it. I said I was gonna pledge my heart to I Phi and I'm gonna finish it. I'm not a quitter and I'm nobody's fool!

MARK - You know what...you're way too sensitive for me bruh. I aint tryin' to offend you, all I'm sayin' is...shit nevermind.

(MARK gets up to leave.)

MARK - Good luck Dwayne.

DWAYNE - Yeah whatever man.

(MARK starts to walk out.)

DWAYNE - Thanks for having my back man.

(MARK detects the strong sarcasm.)

MARK - Yeah, and thanks for understanding...my brother.

(MARK opens the door and walks out of DWAYNE's room. He looks and notices that KEVIN's door is open.)

MARK thinks - Kevin is here.

(MARK waits.)

MARK thinks - I might as well go tell him the deal too. I know he must know by now.

(MARK walks to KEVIN's door and knocks.)

KEVIN - Yeah, come on in.

MARK - Hey Kev, it's me Mark.

(MARK walks in and sees KEVIN, SEAN, SAIFA, SAM, RAY and DR. MWATSUMI in KEVIN's room.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIKE and JAY are still at the fight. MIKE is looking for MONA who he got separated with in the crowd.

JAY - Here come campus police! Look! They're hemmin' niggas up! Look at that one dude?

MIKE - Yo Nupe, we need to get up out of here! I can't find my girl though! We got separated in the crowd.

JAY - She got a cell phone?

MIKE - Yeah! Let me call her!

(MIKE pulls his phone off his hip and dials.)

JAY - Oh shit!

MIKE - Yo! I got her voicemail!

JAY - Oh shit!

MIKE - What? What?

JAY - Look over there! Two girls fighting! Oh my God, one of them bitches is getting her ass kicked! Damn!

(MIKE looks.)

MIKE - Hey! That's no bitch! That's Mona!

JAY - Who?

(MIKE goes running that direction. JAY follows.)

MIKE - Hey! Mona!

(MARCUS has jumped in between RENEE and MONA and is trying to keep them separated.)

MARCUS - Hey Renee! Calm down! What the hell?

MIKE - Mona!

MONA - Mike!

(MONA jumps into MIKE's arms as he runs up.)

MIKE - Are you okay?

MONA - I think so.

MIKE - What the hell is going on?

(MIKE looks at RENEE who has on an AKA jacket. MARCUS is trying to calm her down.)

MIKE - Isn't that your soror? Why are yall fighting?

JAY - You're an AKA too?

(JAY is looking at MONA.)

MONA - Yeah I'm an AKA.

JAY - Huh?

MIKE - What the hell?

RENEE - I'll tell you what the hell!

MARCUS - Renee!

RENEE - She may be an AKA but she aint no soror! She don't deserve my letters because she sure didn't do no work to get em!

(MIKE looks at MONA.)

MIKE - What she mean you didn't do no work to get the letters? Is that true Mona?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JESSICA has stopped by to visit ERIC...very unexpectedly.

JESSICA - So is there anything I can do for you Eric? Anything at all?

(silence)

ERIC - Uh...yeah. I just want to be left alone right now. Is that okay?

(ERIC starts to walk back toward his bed.)

JESSICA - Why are you walking so slow? Are you okay?

ERIC - I'm fine. I just have a pounding headache. I got hit in the head a few times so I'm sore and pissed and frustrated.

(He lies on his back and closes his eyes.)

JESSICA - See, that's what I mean Eric. Why didn't you say that you were in pain? I got some pain killers right here. You want one?

ERIC - Yeah, that would be great. Thanks Jess.

JESSICA - Okay, let me get you some water.

ERIC - Mmmmm hmmmmm.

(JESSICA walks into the kitchen.)

JESSICA - I heard what happened. What started the fight? Why are yall fighting with the Alphas?

ERIC - I don't know. It's stupid. It started out as a discrepancy over a dumb ass party, the next thing you know niggas are throwing bows. I got caught right across the face.

(silence)

(JESSICA comes in with two pills and a glass of water.)

JESSICA - I didn't hear a word you said Eric. But here, take these.

(ERIC sits up.)

ERIC - Thanks.

(She hands him the pills. He throws them in his mouth and takes the glass of water.)

JESSICA - Now what were you saying?

ERIC - The fight.

JESSICA - Oh yeah. What happened?

ERIC - It was over some stupid ass shit. We got into an arguement with the Alphas about this party shit. The next thing I know, I'm brawlin' with them niggas.

(He lays back down.)

ERIC - And the bad thing is that we've always had good relations on campus. We aint never fought with nobody. I know this is gonna come back to bite us.

JESSICA - Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I heard. I thought they were joking.

ERIC - No joke. That fight was some real shit.

JESSICA - Did anybody get hurt?

ERIC - I don't think so. When the bouncer threw us out, I broke out. I didn't hang around to see. Jay called me already and said that all the Nupes were okay. That's all I cared about. I think he's still there though, probably causing trouble.

JESSICA - Yeah, well as long as nobody got hurt.

ERIC - I don't think so. I think everyone is kinda bruised up. Including them.

JESSICA - Yeah.

(ERIC moans as he rolls over.)

JESSICA - You okay?

ERIC - My face hurts.

JESSICA - You need a cold press.

ERIC - A what?

JESSICA - Let me do one for you. I'll be right back.

(JESSICA goes into the bathroom.)

JESSICA - I'm just gonna make you a cold press for your face. Just hold it on there and then I'll let you rest.

ERIC - Okay.

JESSICA - This should make the swelling go down. And at least you won't have a headache anymore with the pills I gave you.

ERIC - Uh huh.

JESSICA - I don't see why you guys have to get to fighting like that anyway. It's crazy. Yall are like gangs.

(JESSICA turns the water off and rings the towel out a little. She carries it carefully back out.)

JESSICA - I hope this is the last of the fighting, and it doesn't spring into other fights, ya know?

(She walks over to the bed.)

JESSICA - Because if...Eric?

(ERIC is asleep. JESSICA smiles.)

JESSICA - All that fighting made you tired huh?

(JESSICA carefully places the towel on his head. He flinches but snores.)

JESSICA whispers - I hope you feel better sweetie.

(She bends over and lightly kisses him on the cheek.)

JESSICA whispers - Bye Eric.

(JESSICA turns and quietly tip toes toward the door.)

JESSICA thinks - I'll call him later to check on him.

(JESSICA turns back and blows a kiss toward the sleeping ERIC. She then opens the door to leave as AKINA is just about to knock on the door.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RENEE - She may be an AKA but she aint no soror! She don't deserve my letters because she sure didn't do no work to get em!

(MIKE looks at MONA.)

MIKE - What she mean you didn't do no work to get the letters? Is that true Mona?

MONA - Of course not! She's crazy!

RENEE - Oh yeah? Ask any soror at Ahpla! They'll tell you! Ask her any history questions! She don't know nothing about AKA! Nothing!

(MARCUS pulls RENEE away.)

MIKE - Mona what the hell is goin' on?

JAY - Hey man, if you're okay, I'm gonna get up out of here man. I don't like the way this scene is lookin'.

(MIKE doesn't even hear JAY. JAY quickly leaves.)

MIKE - Mona, tell me the truth, what's the deal?

MONA - What Mike? What?

MIKE - Why did that girl say all that stuff? Do you know your history?

MONA - What? You wanna test me? Give me an oral exam?

MIKE - I'm just sayin'...

MONA - What are you saying Mike?

MIKE - I'm just asking a question.

MONA - Well you asking too many damn questions okay! I helped you when you were fighting and you didn't even help me!

MIKE - I couldn't find you!

MONA - Yeah right.

MIKE - I couldn't! I even called your cell phone!

MONA - Like I'm supposed to hear that out here!

MIKE - What was I supposed to do Mona? I was with you one second and the next second...

(MIKE feels a hand on his shoulder. He turns around.)

OFFICER - Is this one of them?

MIKE - Hey!

BOUNCER - Yeah, that's one of them.

MIKE - Hey, get off me! What the...

OFFICER - Come on guy, you're coming with me!

MIKE - For what!

OFFICER - You're one of the Kappas that started the fight!

MIKE - No I'm not! I don't even go to school here! I got to Ahpla!

OFFICER - Yeah right!

(Another officer comes over and grabs MIKE as they start to pull him away.)

MIKE - I don't go to Amgis! I didn't start any fight! I go to Ahpla! Mona tell em! Mona!

(MONA looks at MIKE.)

MIKE - Mona, tell em I don't go to school here!

(MONA smiles, turns and walks away.)

No comments: