Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 36

AKINA and JAY have fallen asleep in the lobby of the hospital. The other brothers of Kappa Alpha Psi have gone home. AKINA and JAY are waiting on word from ERIC.

(AKINA tries to turn to the other side to get comfortable and almost falls out of the chair she is resting in. This wakes her up.)

AKINA thinks - Oh shoot! What time is it?

(She looks over at JAY who has dozed off as well.)

AKINA - Jay.

(silence)

AKINA - Jay!

JAY - Huh? What?

AKINA - What time is it?

JAY - Shit. Um...

(He looks at his cell phone.)

JAY - Damn. We been here for a while.

AKINA - Yeah, I hope everything is okay?

JAY - I'm sure it is.

(silence)

JAY - Damn, I got a test tomorrow.

AKINA - You do?

JAY - Yeah. Shit!

AKINA - Well why don't you go ahead and go home then. Get some rest.

JAY - I didn't want to leave you here by yourself though.

AKIINA - I'll be okay. I'll call you when I find out something.

JAY - Are you sure?

AKINA - Yeah, its cool. Go ahead.

JAY - Okay.

AKINA - I may call sorors to come through and sit with me too.

JAY - Oh okay. Well it shouln't be much longer anyway.

AKINA - Naw. I may wait a little while longer but then I'll go ask somebody.

JAY - Okay well just call me okay?

AKINA - I will.

(JAY gets up and strecthes as he yawns. He walks over to AKINA and kisses her on her forehead. She smiles.)

JAY - He's gonna be fine okay?

AKINA - Thanks.

JAY - That nigga gonna be back on the yard high post in a minute!

(She laughs.)

JAY - Talk to ya later.

AKINA - Okay Jay.

(JAY smiles as he walks out.)

AKINA thinks - Jay is awesome! The problem is, he knows it.

(She looks back but he is already gone. She looks around at others in the lobby.)

AKINA thinks - Man, these people upstairs take forever just to run a few tests!

(AKINA notices another lady go to the receptionist. She tries to listen.)

LADY - Excuse me, I have been here for a while and I want to check the status of my husband.

RECEPTIONIST - What is his name maam?

LADY - Ernest Driver.

RECEPTIONIST - Okay one second.

(She types his name into the computer.)

RECEPTIONIST - Okay... um... oh okay. The doctor is giving him his perscription right now. He'll be down in five minutes and you can leave.

LADY - Oh okay. Thank you.

AKINA thinks - Wow, that was quick!

(AKINA gets up and walks to the receptionist.)

AKINA - Excuse me, I came in here a while ago too and I haven't heard anything. I came in with my boyfriend Eric to get some tests done.

RECEPTIONIST - Oh I remember yall. You had some other guys with you too right?

AKINA - Yeah.

RECEPTIONIST - Hold on let me check.

AKINA - Okay thank you.

(She types something into the computer.)

(silence)

(She types something else and looks confused.)

RECEPTIONIST - Um...

AKINA - What?

RECEPTIONIST - Um... it says that your boyfriend is no longer here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASHLEY is in her room and LEAH has stopped by.

ASHLEY - You want something to drink?

LEAH - Naw.

(LEAH pulls out a folder.)

LEAH - Okay so check it out. Here's the transcripts.

ASHLEY - Okay.

LEAH - First is Ada.

ASHLEY - Okay I like her.

LEAH - Yeah, she's cool. Okay um...

ASHLEY - Let me see.

LEAH - Here.

(LEAH passes ASHLEY one of the papers. They are going over ADA's grades.)

ASHLEY - Looks pretty good.

LEAH - Yeah, she's pretty involved. Looks good.

ASHLEY - What did you think after you spoke to her?

LEAH - She's mad cool.

ASHLEY - Have you spoken to Kim about her?

LEAH - Girl I aint seen Kim in like two weeks.

ASHLEY - Oh yeah, she had a block of exams last week. I know it got crazy on her for a hot minute.

LEAH - Must've.

ASHLEY - Well when we meet we can find out how she's feeling about these girls.

LEAH - Yeah, thats cool. But I do like Ada though.

ASHLEY - Me too.

LEAH - Ooh look at this girl.

ASHLEY - Who?

LEAH - Laurel. You remember her?

ASHLEY - Yeah, I remember, she was real short.

LEAH - Oh yeah yeah yeah.

ASHLEY - Yep, she is definitely number one material.

(LEAH laughs.)

LEAH - She looks good on paper though.

ASHLEY - Let me check it out.

(silence)

ASHLEY - Cool. Who you got next?

LEAH - Actually a few that had pretty low grades. What should I do with those? Like under requirement grades.

ASHLEY - Rip em up. I don't play that mess.

LEAH - Ha ha ha ha ha! Yeah, me netheir.

ASHLEY - Well let's talk about one of my personal favorites.

LEAH - Who?

(ASHLEY smiles.)

ASHLEY - Miya.

LEAH - Who?

(LEAH starts to look for MIYA's name amongst the papers in the folder.)

ASHLEY - You're not gonna find Miya in there.

LEAH - Huh? Why not?

ASHLEY - She's Sharonda's little cousin.

LEAH - Oh wait... Miya Ferguson?

ASHLEY - Yeah.

LEAH - Oh hell no!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECEPTIONIST - Hold on let me check to see if your boyfriend is still here.

AKINA - Okay thank you.

(She types something into the computer.)

(silence)

(She types something else and looks confused.)

RECEPTIONIST - Um...

AKINA - What?

RECEPTIONIST - Your boyfriend is no longer here.

AKINA - What?

RECEPTIONIST - He's not here anymore.

AKINA - What do you mean he's not here anymore? Where is he?

RECEPTIONIST - Hold on okay?

(The receptionist picks up her phone.)

AKINA thinks - Oh God! Oh God!

RECEPTIONIST - Yeah this is Monica downstairs. What happened to the patient in nineteen eleven.

(silence)

RECEPTIONIST - Okay.

(She covers the bottom of the phone and turns to AKINA.)

RECEPTIONIST - They got me on hold. They're checking.

AKINA - What could've happened?

RECEPTIONIST - Honestly I don't know because if he was discharged, we would've seen him come out... oh yes hello? Uh huh. Uh huh. Uh huh. What! Are you serious?

(The receptionist realizes that she is speaking loudly so she quiets down.)

AKINA - What! Where is Eric!

RECEPTIONIST -Uh... let me call you back.

(She hangs up.)

AKINA - What happened!

RECEPTIONIST - Um... they took Eric out the side exit of the hospital.

AKINA - The side exit? Oh my God! Why did they take him out the side exit!

RECEPTIONIST - Because...

(She pauses.)

RECEPTIONIST - ...they took him out in handcuffs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(JUNE changes the channel. Her phone rings again. She looks at the display and doesn't recognize the number.)

JUNE thinks - Who is this?

(She answers.)

JUNE - Hello?

GINGER - Hi June, this is Ginger. I just wanted to call and talk to you because Buck told me that you're pissed off and girl, you really don't need to be.

JUNE thinks - Oh shoot!

(JUNE sits up.)

JUNE - Ginger?

GINGER - Yeah, how you doin'?

JUNE - I'm fine. Buck told you what now?

GINGER - Well he told me that you two got into an arguement and that you were very upset.

JUNE - Oh really? He told you that?

GINGER - Yeah. Girl let me tell you. You aint got nothin' to worry about. Buck is a great guy but he's a great guy for you. Not for me. I got a man already.

JUNE - Oh yeah?

(JUNE laughs and GINGER laughs with her.)

JUNE - Well don't get me wrong Gin... I didn't get all worked up or anything. Me and Buck were just... talkin'.

GINGER - Oh cool! I didn't want to cause any kind of problems ya know?

JUNE - Yeah, I know.

GINGER - Like I said, Buck is great for you. You see the rock I had him pick for you right? That was from one girl to another! You know!

JUNE - Yeah, you hooked me up!

GINGER - I'm sayin'! That was for you girl! That was for you!

(GINGER laughs.)

GINGER - But seriously June, you got something real special in Buck. He loves you with all his heart. He really does.

JUNE - Yeah.

GINGER - Hold on to that girl. Don't worry about me. You know what I'm sayin'? I mean when Buck called me and said that you were pissed because he came over here, I asked him for your number immediately. You know?

JUNE - Oh yeah?

GINGER - Oh yeah! I knew I had to talk to you woman to woman. I even told Buck, I was like, let me call her. I know she's pissed about you coming over here during the game and I know she doesn't always like to hear your side of the story, so maybe if I tell it, it'll come across better.

JUNE - His side of the story?

GINGER - Huh? Oh well yeah. He told me that sometimes when yall argue, you don't listen. Or hear his side. But I knew what he meant instead. You know how guys are. We hear every damn word they say, and we don't forget nothing. We just make them think we aint listenin'. Ya know? So he told me that you're the same way, that you don't listen.

(GINGER laughs again. JUNE manages a laugh too.)

JUNE - Yeah, I know.

GINGER - So I said, let me call and be a woman about this and squash it before it grows.

JUNE - Well Ginger, I am so glad you called. Thanks.

GINGER - Girl no problem. If we can't stick together as women, I mean hey? What else is there?

JUNE - Exactly.

GINGER - Okay, well good talkin' to ya. Take care! And love that man you got!

JUNE - Sure thing!

(They hang up.)

(silence)

(JUNE is staring at the tv but doesn't hear a sound.)

(silence)

(silence)

(JUNE slams her fist down on the couch. She quickly gets up, grabs her bag, her jacket and slams the door as she leaves.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AKINA - Handcuffs! What! Why!

RECEPTIONIST - They didn't tell me why. I don't...

AKINA - What happened! Where are they taking him!

RECEPTIONIST - I don't...

(AKINA frantically turns around and looks around the lobby. The Kappas are all gone and everyone is staring at her.)

AKINA - Oh my God!

(She runs to a security guard who she sees near the exit door.)

AKINA - Excuse me! Something happened and somebody was taken out of here in handcuffs!

GUARD - In handcuffs?

AKINA - Yes! Where did he go!

GUARD - Well anyone in handcuffs would go to the third precinct. That's the local police station. But let me call and find out.

(He turns to grab his radio.)

GUARD - Okay Miss, let me just call to our headquar... hey... hello?

GUARD thinks - Where did she go?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Zetas, ASHLEY and LEAH are talking about possible new candidates for membership.

ASHLEY - What's wrong with Miya?

LEAH - Well first of all she's like ten years old!

ASHLEY - Shut up! No she's not! Imagine how fly that would be to have a real young presence in the chapter though? She could give a lot of good years to us.

LEAH - What about that lame stunt she pulled in our meeting. That poem she recited was whack.

ASHLEY - No it wasn't, it was funny.

LEAH - It was disrespectful.

ASHLEY - Sure, Miya is rough around the edges. So was Sharonda, so were you. But we can smooth her out.

LEAH - Yeah right. That's a lot of smoothing over!

(They both laugh.)

LEAH - But more importantly, she isn't in college. How do you plan to pull that of Sherlock?

ASHLEY - Her college credits from high school are gonna make her eligible after all.

LEAH - That is ridiculous Ashley. What if she decides to go to school way across the country somewhere after we make her down with our chapter?

ASHLEY - That girl aint goin' nowhere. Her family is here. Her cousin is here, her sister and her mother went to Ahpla.

LEAH - Isn't her sister at Alpha now?

ASHLEY - Yeah. We can even holla at her about some stuff. Get her opinion on it.

LEAH - I don't know Ashley. I don't like that idea.

ASHLEY - So what if I assign her to you when she is on line.

(ASHLEY smiles.)

LEAH - What if I kick your ass right now?

(They both laugh.)

ASHLEY - I hope she does go to Ahpla.

LEAH - I thought you wanted her to pledge here?

ASHLEY - I do but imagine if the two campuses were connected by Zeta ties.

LEAH - That aint gonna happen.

ASHLEY - It happened with frat.

(silence)

LEAH - Whatever. Who else we got?

(LEAH opens the folder again and hands it to ASHLEY.)

ASHLEY - Oh yeah, one more.

LEAH - Who?

ASHLEY - Tammi.

(silence)

ASHLEY - Well, spit it out.

LEAH - Spit what out?

ASHLEY - How you feel about your ex's girl coming out for the sorority?

LEAH - First of all, Robbie aint nobody's ex. And secondly, who cares?

ASHLEY - Yeah right! You don't care at all?

LEAH- I don't have feelings for Robbie anymore. So its like whatever.

ASHLEY - Uh huh.

(ASHLEY is looking at TAMMI's transcript while she is speaking.)

ASHLEY - I understand.

LEAH - Good.

ASHLEY - I mean dag, it aint like it's Buck's ex girl that's comin'!

LEAH - What!

(ASHLEY laughs loudly.)

LEAH - Low blow.

ASHLEY - Ha ha ha ha ha ha, my bad girl.

LEAH - Yeah, uh huh. Very funny, very funny. I spoke to Tammi about this a while ago and she seems ready and anxious.

ASHLEY - Yeah, she's saying that now because she wants to be a part of the sorority. But let her get in and get comfortable for a month or two. Then let's see how you two get along.

LEAH - Don't worry, I'll work that out.

ASHLEY - That's what I'm afraid of!

LEAH - Whatever! Now back to this Miya Ferguson thing.

ASHLEY - Oh brother.

LEAH -You can't possibly believe she is old enough and ready to handle this.

ASHLEY - She's got Sharonda, she's got her big sisters, she's got her own sister and mother in sororities. Come on, come up with a better reason than that to not like the girl!

LEAH - Its a mistake. That's all. I think its a big mistake.

ASHLEY - We'll see how Kim feels when she's hooks up with us.

LEAH - Uh huh. Although I do think a line with four would be hot.

ASHLEY - A line with four would be very hot.

LEAH - Yeah, true.

(They both continue to read in silence.)

(silence)

(silence)

LEAH - So... Miya Ferguson, a member of Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated! Hmmmm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK is in his room playing NBA Live.

BUCK - Come on come on!

(He makes a move with Kobe Bryant.)

BUCK - Yes! Ha ha ha!

(The phone rings.)

BUCK - Damn!

(He pauses the game.)

BUCK - Hello.

RONNIE - Wassup dog.

BUCK - Oh wassup bruh.

RONNIE - Dog, what the fuck happened to the party?

BUCK - Man, don't ask me. I don't know. Your boy Clarence is trippin'.

RONNIE - I'm know bruh! Damn! But it got crazy for me too because my girl tripped out.

BUCK - Who you tellin'! My girl is actin' a fool right now!

RONNIE - Word dog?

BUCK - Hell yeah. She got all pissed because I went to see this girl during the game. But this chick is like my sister. And June knows her.

RONNIE - She knows her dog?

BUCK - Dog she knows her! So I'm like what's the problem?

RONNIE - Dog if she knows her, why is she trippin'? Did you used to fuck with her or somethin'?

BUCK - Naw! Matter fact, this is the girl who picked out and sold me the engagement ring!

RONNIE - What!

BUCK - So I'm like why are you trippin' that I went to go over to her crib and vent?

RONNIE - Dog you are so right! These chicks be goin' crazy over some ol stupid shit! Let me tell you what Trina's ass did! We up in the party right and then...

(There is a knock on BUCK's door.)

BUCK - Keep talkin' dog, somebody is at my door but I don't feel like company so they gots to go!

RONNIE - Oh, ha ha ha ha! So anyway, we in the party chillin' and her ghetto ass cousin...

(BUCK opens the door with the phone on his shoulder pinned to his ear.)

BUCK - June!

JUNE - Can I come in, we need to talk.

BUCK - Yeah yeah sure!

(He steps aside and hangs up on RONNIE.)

BUCK - Baby where you been? I been calling you like crazy. You didn't get any of my messages to call me back?

(JUNE turns around to face BUCK. She is visibly angry.)

JUNE - What the hell you go and tell Ginger to call me for!

BUCK - What? I didn't tell Ginger to call you.

JUNE - How did she get my number then!

BUCK - I gave it to her but I didn't tell her to call. She said she might give you a call or she might not.

JUNE - That's not even what I'm pissed about! Why did you tell her that I was mad! Why is Ginger all up in my business!

BUCK - I couldn't get you on the phone! You wouldn't answer and you wouldn't call me back!

JUNE - So you call Ginger and put all our business out in the street!

BUCK - Out in the street? June this is Ginger! She's like my sister!

JUNE - Dammit Buck you just don't get it! Ginger is not like your sister because she aint your sister! You got her mixed up in my business and the next thing you know she gonna be waiting on the sidelines for you to be single again!

BUCK - What! That girl aint thinking about me! She got a man!

JUNE - Oh yeah! I bet!

BUCK - Why are you trippin' over this?

JUNE - Trippin'! Buck what would you do if I told one of your bruhs that you're a two minute brother!

BUCK - What! I aint no two minute nigga!

JUNE - But how would you feel if I told one of them that! Or one of my male friends!

BUCK - I would be pissed cuz it aint true!

JUNE - But you should be pissed because true or not, that is our business and not everyone else's!

(silence)

BUCK - Look, I don't see where that has anything to do with any of this. I just think you need to calm down and listen. All I'm sayin' is...

JUNE - That's another thing! You told her that I don't listen to you when we argue?

BUCK - Well you don't!

JUNE - Buck what is the matter with you! Do you realize how stupid you make me look when you...

(JUNE stops and closes her eyes.)

BUCK - June baby...

(He walks toward her. She immediately backs away. When she opens her eyes, tears immediately start to fall.)

JUNE - No. Don't touch me Buck. Do not touch me.

BUCK - June... I'm sorry okay?

(silence)

(JUNE starts to shake as she starts to cry harder. She bends over and places her face into her hands.)

BUCK - June... I'm sorry baby. Please don't cry. I love you. Please don't...

(She stands up and starts to take her engagement ring off.)

BUCK - Wait... what are you... doing...

No comments: