Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 22

As AKINA walks up to her boyfriend ERIC's door, JESSICA comes out.

AKINA - What the...?

(AKINA does a double take to make sure she is standing at the right door and that this person is coming out.)

AKINA - What the hell are you doing?

JESSICA thinks - Oh shit!

AKINA - Why are you coming out of Eric's room?

JESSICA - Is it a crime to come out of Eric's room?

AKINA - Jessica don't get smart and don't play dumb okay, I'm not in the mood.

JESSICA - I don't have to play dumb Akina. You ask a silly question, you get a silly answer.

AKINA - That aint a silly question! You know damn well that I peeped your game a long time ago.

JESSICA - Is that so?

AKINA - You still want Eric and you're pissed off that he's with me and he doesn't want to go back to you!

(JESSICA laughs.)

JESSICA - Is that what you think?

AKINA - No Jessica, that's what I know!

JESSICA - Well Akina, you obviously... know... nothing about me, or about your so called man.

AKINA - What?

JESSICA - All you are is insecure. If you have a problem with your boyfriend having female friends, that just tells me how secure you are in the relationship.

AKINA - I trust my man, its you I don't! I know how you are, you got it written all over your face!

JESSICA - Whatever!

(JESSICA turns and starts to walk away.)

AKINA - Don't walk away from me! I'm not finished!

(JESSICA turns back around.)

JESSICA - Look, if you got a problem with me coming to see Eric, why don't you bring it up with Eric and let him tell me? Obviously he doesn't have a problem with it.

AKINA - I'll deal with Eric, you don't worry about that. You just keep your ass away from us.

JESSICA - If I hear that from Eric... cool.

AKINA - You're hearing it from me.

(There is a brief silence as the two stare at one another. Then JESSICA turns to walk away again.)

JESSICA - You're worse than I thought, I mean E said you were insecure, but damn.

(AKINA watches JESSICA walk away.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kappa Alpha Psi brothers BEN and JAY enter into the meeting room where the brothers are going to meet.

BEN - Nobody's here yet.

JAY - Yeah.

(They come inside and sit down.)

BEN - Did you talk to Phil?

JAY - Yeah, I called him from my room. He said he was gonna hook up with his girl but he canceled and said he was on his way over here.

BEN - Cool.

JAY - He didn't even know about the fight!

BEN - That's because his ass is so out of the loop! He don't know shit.

(JAY laughs.)

BEN - What about E?

JAY - I left him a message too. Let me call him back. Give me your cell phone.

BEN - Nigga where's yours?

JAY - I think I lost it in the fight, quit bitchin'!

(BEN laughs as he gives JAY his phone.)

JAY - Thanks.

(JAY dials.)

BEN - Yo, I saw Xavier and was talking to him. He's doing some write up on this whole thing for his school paper.

(JAY holds up his hand to stop BEN from speaking as he talks into the phone.)

JAY - Yo Eric, it's Jay. The bros are here in the spot waitin' on you man so we can talk. If you get this message, call or come on through.

(JAY hangs up and gives the phone back to BEN.)

JAY - I don't know man, I got his voice mail twice now.

BEN - Maybe he lost his phone too.

JAY - Yeah.

(The door opens and PHIL walks in.)

PHIL - Wassup! What the hell happened?

BEN - Man, where you been? You miss out on everything!

PHIL - I was locked away man, what's the deal?

JAY - We just got into it with the Alphas man. Then the whole shit got blown out of proportion.

PHIL - Is everybody okay?

JAY - Yeah but I kicked some Alpha ass!

(They all laugh.)

BEN - Yeah, but what we need to do is chill and let this whole thing blow over before administration gets involved. We need to holla at Eric about that and what we should do next.

JAY - What we should do is go over to the Alpha house and finish this shit! Fuck chillin' out!

BEN - You need to calm your ass down.

JAY - Well yall can chill if yall want but I'm gonna tell ya like this, me and that nigga Bane got some unfinished business.

(The door opens.)

JAY - Yo Eric!

MIKE - Naw, it aint Eric.

(MIKE walks in the room.)

JAY - Oh wassup bruh.

MIKE - Don't wassup bruh me!

JAY - Huh?

(MIKE slams the door.)

MIKE - You left me hangin' out there man and I got arrested!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AKINA knocks on ERIC's door... hard.

(silence)

AKINA thinks - I'm gonna kill Eric!

(She knocks on the door again, then turns the knob and the door opens.)

AKINA - Eric!

(silence)

(AKINA walks into the bedroom and sees ERIC sleeping in the bed. ERIC doesn't have a shirt on.)

AKINA thinks - Oooooh! He didn't have on his shirt and Jessica was...

(AKINA turns and walks straight into the bathroom and closes the door. She turns the water on and stares in the mirror.)

AKINA thinks - Okay Akina, calm down. Calm down.

(She puts some water on her face.)

AKINA thinks - There's a logical explanation. I know there is. Don't kill him, hear him out.

(She turns the water off and takes a few deep breaths.)

AKINA thinks - Okay... okay.

(She walks out of the bathroom. ERIC is asleep on his back. She walks over to the bed and sits down next to him.)

AKINA whispers - Eric...

(silence)

AKINA whispers - Eric... baby...

(silence)

(She nudges him.)

AKINA - Eric, wake up.

(silence)

AKINA thinks - Dag, he's knocked out!

AKINA - Eric! Eric wake up!

(She pushes him a little harder. He doesn't wake up. She pushes him harder.)

AKINA - Eric!

(She looks at him and stands up. She walks into the kitchen and gets a glass.)

AKINA - If he's just playin', I'm gonna kill him!

(She pours some water in the glass and returns to the bed.)

AKINA - Eric, wake up! Get up!

(silence)

(AKINA waits another second then throws the water on ERIC.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Iota Phi Theta pledgee MARK is leaving CENTAUR DWAYNE's room after their conversation.

CENTAUR DWAYNE - Thanks for having my back man.

(MARK detects the strong sarcasm.)

MARK - Yeah, and thanks for understanding... my brother.

(MARK opens the door and walks out of DWAYNE's room. He looks and notices that KEVIN's door is open.)

MARK thinks - Kevin is here.

(MARK waits.)

MARK thinks - I might as well go tell him the deal too. I know he must know by now.

(MARK walks to KEVIN's door and knocks.)

KEVIN - Yeah, come on in.

MARK - Hey Kev, it's me Mark.

(MARK walks in and sees KEVIN, SEAN, SAIFA, SAM, RAY and DR. MWATSUMI in KEVIN's room.)

MARK thinks - Oh shit!

SAM - Speak of the devil! Come on in Mark!

(MARK hesitates a second.)

MARK thinks - Wait, I aint on line no more! What the hell am I worried about?

(MARK smiles and walks in.)

MARK - Hey guys! What's up!

(He walks right up to SAM.)

MARK - My man Sam, what's the deal bruh?

(He grabs SAM's hand and shakes it. SAM just smiles but doesn't say anything.)

MARK - How's everybody feelin'?

(silence)

SAIFA - Um... Mark, we understand you had some issues which caused you to want to discontinue the process. Is that true?

MARK - Yeah, that's true.

SAIFA - Do you care to share with us what happened?

MARK - Sure. I just don't think this is for me. Ya know? I just had a change of heart.

SAIFA - A change of heart?

MARK - Yeah, that's all. I thought fraternity life was something that I wanted. But the closer I got to completion, the more I realized it isn't me at all. It's not something that I want or want to force myself to be a part of.

SAIFA - Do you think you were forcing yourself?

MARK - Um... honestly not all the time. I mean, I did work hard and I did see the end result.

SAIFA - I'm just asking because I want to make sure you're one hundred percent sure, and won't regret this decision later.

MARK - Oh I understand. But I've made up my mind and I know I won't regret it. My reasons are legit and its just an individual thing. Ya know? My inside gut just gave me reasons, so I have to listen.

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Are you certain that your reasons don't stem from the interation that you and I had at the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity house?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Kappas are meeting to discuss the implications from the fight with the Alphas.

(The door opens.)

JAY - Yo Eric!

MIKE - Naw, it aint Eric.

(MIKE walks in the room.)

JAY - Oh wassup bruh.

MIKE - Don't wassup bruh me!

JAY - Huh?

(MIKE slams the door.)

MIKE - You left me hangin' out there man and I got arrested!

JAY - You got what?

MIKE - You saw that cop hem me up! And you left me.

JAY- Mike, I didn't see you with no cop. What are you talkin' about?

MIKE - You came up to me and said you were leaving, when I specifically told you that I was lookin' for my girl. The next thing I know, this cop is blaming me for the fight because I had on a Kappa sweater!

JAY - I didn't know that!

MIKE - You looked right in my face!

JAY - No I didn't, what are you talking about? I didn't see you again!

(MIKE steps closer as if he wants to fight JAY.)

MIKE - Don't lie! I saw you look right at me!

JAY - Mike, step back man, I didn't see you with no cop or I would've come over okay? Now I'm sorry about what happened to you, but that's why we're here. So we can get this shit straightened out!

(PHIL steps in the middle and MIKE backs up.)

JAY - We can't be fighting each other man, come on! Mike you know I wouldn't strand you like that.

BEN - Yeah Mike, come on frat. It aint even like that.

(JAY extends his hand toward MIKE.)

JAY - Come on bruh.

(MIKE looks at JAY's hand, then at JAY. He reluctantly takes JAY's hand.)

MIKE - Aight man.

JAY - No doubt bruh, no hard feelings in this house. As a matter of fact, we're glad you're here. We're bout to talk about what we're gonna do next and we need you here since you were up in the mix.

MIKE - Yeah okay.

(MIKE takes a seat but still looks pissed.)

JAY - As soon as E gets here, we're gonna map out our next move. I think we should retaliate quick!

BEN - Hell no! I think we should chill!

(The door opens.)

DELL - I think you brothers should stop talking so loud! People in the hallway can hear you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARK - Oh I understand. But I've made up my mind and I know I won't regret it. My reasons are legit and its just an individual thing. Ya know? My inside gut just gave me reasons, so I have to listen.

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Are you certain that your reasons don't stem from the interation that you and I had at the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity house?

MARK - Excuse me?

DR. MWATSUMI - It seemed like you were very perturbed about what transpired between myself, you and Dwayne at the Omega Psi Phi house. Ever since then, you decided to quit.

MARK - No, I thought about quitting... well first of all, I'm not a quitter. But I thought about...

DR. MWATSUMI - Yes you are.

(MARK stops.)

MARK - No I'm not.

DR. MWATSUMI - Didn't you say that you were quitting?

MARK - Well no, I said I was changing my mind about being a member of your fraternity. So I am leaving the process.

DR. MWATSUMI - Quitting.

MARK - Dr. I'm not trying to get into a word match with you okay? If you want to call it quitting, fine. Call it quitting. I know I'm not a quitter.

DR. MWATSUMI - Actually Mark, I don't think you really know much about how you're feeling. I think you're making a rash decision based on emotion.

MARK - With all due respect sir, how can you tell me how I'm feeling?

(DR. MWATSUMI stand up. He was leaning on a desk, he walks toward MARK.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Mark, I'm a psychiatrist. I have a doctorate in reading people. That is what I teach, that is what I do. I'm looking at you now. Your posture. Your speech patterns. The fact that you have drawn sweat on your forehead yet it isn't hot in here.

(MARK wipes his head and looks at his hand.)

DR. MWATSUMI - The way your eyes flow around the room, instead of directly at the person speaking to you.

(DR. MWATSUMI walks past MARK while still talking to him.)

DR. MWATSUMI - This decision you're making has nothing to do with how you're feeling or what you've been thinking. This decision is being made based on the fact that you are upset with me.

(DR. MWATSUMI steps past KEVIN's door and leans past it.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Centaur Dwayne! Get in here!

(DR. MWATSUMI steps back into the room.)

DR. MWATSUMI - So Mark, since your decision is based on emotion...

(He walks back in the room, past MARK and over to KEVIN's shelf.)

DR. MWATSUMI - ... then that tells me you're like the rest of us. Human. Not some super strong person who can just up and walk out of something they dreamed over and gave up everything for...

(CENTAUR DWAYNE runs in and stands at attention. DR. MWATSUMI gets to the shelf and turns around to fave MARK again.)

DR. MWATSUMI - ... but you're a young man being led... and driven, by emotion. And that's okay. There's nothing wrong with that.

(DR. MWATSUMI grabs a paddle that KEVIN has on his shelf.)

DR. MWATSUMI - So since you make decisons based on emotion, and you decided to leave, based on emotion...

(DR. MWATSUMI takes the paddle and walks toward CENTAUR DWAYNE.)

DR. MWATSUMI - ... let's see if I can evoke you to make a decision to come back... based on your emotions.

(MARK looks confused, as do some of the Iota brothers.)

DR. MWATSUMI - I'm gonna use this paddle on Dwayne here and let you watch Mark. And I won't stop until you decide to come back and become a member of this fraternity. Now let's see who breaks down first. You...

(DR. MWATSUMI smiles.)

DR. MWATSUMI - ... or Dwayne.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AKINA waits another second then throws the water on ERIC.)

(silence)

(ERIC doesn't move. His cell phone is right next to him and it rings.)

AKINA - Hello!

JAY - Akina this is Jay, where's that nigga Eric! We need him now... quick!

AKINA - Oh my God Jay get over her quick! There's something wrong with Eric!

No comments: