Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 2

HOLLY is going into the cafeteria in the Morse Student Union.


HOLLY thinks – I hope they got something good today. I’m hungry as hell.

(HOLLY walks in and checks out the menu before she grabs her tray.)

HOLLY thinks – Oh cool. Spaghetti. That works.

(She goes back and grabs a tray and gets in line.)

HOLLY thinks – I’m glad it’s not real crowded up in here. I gotta get out of here and get some work done.

(She gets her food and enters the cafeteria to find a seat. She sits alone by the window and begins to eat as she pulls out a textbook.)

HOLLY thinks – Might as well kill two birds with one stone. Eat and read.

(As she begins to read, she notices her friend KIM come in with her brother SETH.)

HOLLY – Kim!

KIM – Oh hey girl!

(KIM and SETH walk over and place their trays down and sit with KIM.)

HOLLY – Hey Seth.

SETH – Holly, what’s happenin’?

HOLLY –Not too much. Spaghetti day so you know I’m excited!

(They all laugh.)

KIM – Yeah girl me too. What you reading?

HOLLY – Bio.

KIM – Oooh yuck.

HOLLY – I know. It aint my favorite either.

(HOLLY notices AHMAD walk in as well.)

HOLLY – Oh there’s your line brother.

SETH – Oh yeah. He came in with us but was talking to somebody inside. Hey Blue! Over here.

(AHMAD notices and comes over.)

AHMAD – Hey Holly.

HOLLY – Hi. How you doin’?

AHMAD – I’m chillin girl. What’s up with you?
HOLLY – Not too much. Same ol’ same ol

AHMAD – Yeah.

(AHMAD’s cell phone rings.)

AHMAD – Excuse me yall.

(He grabs it and turns away from the others.)

AHMAD – Hello?
SHAREESA – Hey Ahmad.

AHMAD – Oh hey Shareesa. How you doin’?

SHAREESA – I’m good. What’s up with you?
AHMAD – Chillin girl. Just grabbing a bite then headin’ to the library. I’m actually sitting here in the caf with one of your sorors.

SHAREESA – You are? Who?

AHMAD – You know Holly right?

(HOLLY hears her name. She mouths words to AHMAD.)

HOLLY – Who is that?
AHMAD – This is your soror Shareesa.

HOLLY – It is! Oooh let me speak to her!

AHMAD - Hold on hon.

(AHMAD hands HOLLY the phone.)

HOLLY – Hey girl!

SHAREESA – Wassup soror!

HOLLY – I’m chillin’. How you been girl? How’s the real world treatinya?
SHAREESA – Girl if I could only go back! Ha ha ha ha! I miss hanging out but that’s the progression of life ya know?
HOLLY – Don’t even tell me about it. Let me just cherish Amgis for a while. Ha ha ha ha ha!
SHAREESA – Well anyway, good to hear you again Holly.

HOLLY – Same here Shareesa. Take care soror.

SHAREESA – You too soror.

(HOLLY hands the phone back to AHMAD.)

SETH – You’re pretty cool with Ahmad’s girl?

HOLLY – Oh yeah. She pledged me. They used to come over a lot from Ahpla.

KIM – Yeah. Zetas are trying to do the same thing. I was just over at Ahpla for the soror’s interest meeting over there. I met a lot of the Ahpla students who are trying to be down. Some are real cool.

HOLLY – Yeah. We have a great relationship with sorors. You’re pretty cool with the Ahpla Zetas?

KIM – Oh yeah. Mad cool, I know em all. I even remember a few of their interests. One girl named Ada had a slammingpa. And this other girl had good grades too but I forgot her name. And then this one girl named Jahanna that I met. But she got there kind of late.

(HOLLY puts her fork down.)

HOLLY – Jahanna? Did you say Jahanna?
KIM – Yeah. Why?
HOLLY – How does she look?

----------------------------------------------------------------

ROBBIE is in his room using the phone.

ROBBIE – What you doin’ this weekend coming up bruh?
BANE – I? don’t know. What’s up?
ROBBIE – Trying to find out. Where the party at?
BANE – If I hear something I’ll get back at cha. As of now, I aint heard shit.

ROBBIE – Yeah, that’s cool.

(ROBBIE’s other line rings.)

ROBBIE – Hold on B.

(He clicks over.)

ROBBIE – Hello.

LEAH – Hey.

ROBBIE – What’s up doll.

LEAH – What you doing?
ROBBIE – Talkin’ to Bane. Hold on let me hang up with him.

LEAH – You don’t have to hang up. I can call you later.

ROBBIE – Naw, hold on. You look a lot better than he does so I’d rather talk to you.

(LEAH laughs.)

LEAH – Shut up stupid.

ROBBIE – Hold on.

(He clicks back over.)

ROBBIE – Yo B, that’s Leah. I’ll hit you back.

BANE – Aight man. Oh six.

ROBBIE – Oh six.

(ROBBIE clicks back over.)

ROBBIE – Leah baby?
LEAH – Yeah.

ROBBIE – What’s up?
LEAH Nothing. Just getting in.

ROBBIE – Oh yeah? Where you coming from?
LEAH – Me and Kim went over to Ahpla. Sorors had an interest meeting.

ROBBIE – Oh cool. How was it?
LEAH – It was real nice.

ROBBIE – Cool.

LEAH – So what are you doing tonight?
ROBBIE – Just chillin. Wassup?
LEAH – You want company?
ROBBIE thinks – Uh…

ROBBIE – Sure. You wanna come over?
LEAH – Yeah. I gotta read this chapter but I can read it over there.

ROBBIE thinks – Damn!
ROBBIE – Okay. That’s cool.

LEAH – Okay so I’ll see you in a few minutes.

ROBBIE – Alright.

(They hang up and ROBBIE immediately dials another number.)

----------------------------------------------------------------

HOLLY is in the cafeteria eating lunch and has been joined by AHMAD, SETH, and KIM. In speaking with KIM, she has just learned that JAHANNA attended the Zeta Phi Beta interest meeting at Ahpla University.

(HOLLY puts her fork down.)

HOLLY – Jahanna? Did you say Jahanna?
KIM – Yeah. Why?
HOLLY – How does she look?

KIM – Oh I don’t know. Short hair cut I think. Cute face. Kinda young looking.

(silence)

HOLLY thinks – Why in the world would…

KIM – You know her?
HOLLY – Uh, no. I don’t think so. Name sounds familiar but it must be someone else.

KIM – Oh okay.

HOLLY – So uh, how was the interest meeting?
KIM – It was real cool. Organized real well. Sorors don’t play.

SETH – Yeah, sorors don’t play.
HOLLY – That’s cool.

HOLLY thinks – How many people named Jahanna could there be in the world?

(HOLLY tries to eat faster.)

SETH – Now if yall would just let us get to see the girls when they start.

KIM – Boy please! As hype as yall neos are? Yall would kill some girls right about now.

(Everyone laughs except HOLLY who seems distant.)

KIM – Hey, you still here with us? Everything okay?

HOLLY- Huh? Oh yeah. I’m sorry. Excuse me for a minute, I gotta make a quick phone call.

AHMAD – Oh yeah. Sure.

(AHMAD scoots out of the booth to let HOLLY out. She grabs her cell phone from out of her book bag.)

HOLLY – I’ll be right back.

KIM – Okay.

(HOLLY begins to dial as she walks toward the hall.)

PJ – Hello?
HOLLY – Hey Peej. It’s Holly.

PJ – What’s up girl?

HOLLY – You got a minute? I need to ask you something.

PJ – Actually I’m right in the middle of something. Can I call you back?
HOLLY – Yeah sure.

PJ – Okay. I’ll hit you back.

HOLLY – Aight.

(They hang up.)

HOLLY thinks – Damn.

(HOLLY dials again.)

APRIL’s VOICE MAIL – Hey you’ve reached April. Please leave a mes

(She hangs up and dials again.)

KATRICE – Hello.

HOLLY – Hey Katrice, it’s Holly.

KATRICE – Wassup soror?
HOLLY – Got a quick question for you.

KATRICE – Oh yeah? What’s up?
HOLLY – Remember Jahanna? That girl that goes to your school who wanted to be down with AKA?
KATRICE thinks – How does Holly know Jahanna?
KATRICE – Yeah, I know her. Of course I do. Why?
HOLLY – Well do you know if she still wants to be down?
KATRICE – Well before I answer that, let me ask you something.

HOLLY – Sure.

KATRICE – How do you know her? Did Presjina bring Jahanna over to Amgis to try to get down with yall’s next line?

----------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK walks from the locker room onto the court. He walks to the rack of basketballs and picks up one. He starts to bounce it between his legs as he walks onto the floor with the other players.

BUCK – Wassup Ant.

ANTHONY – Ay yo wassup Buck.

BUCK – Chillin man.

(BUCK shoots the ball.)

BUCK – Coach isn’t here yet?
ANTHONY – Yeah he’s here. He went back to his office real quick. He forgot something in there.

BUCK – Oh okay.

(ANTHONY shoots and makes the shot.)

ANTHONY – What you been up to man?
BUCK – Chillin dog. You know, studying and shit.

(BUCK shoots again and makes it.)

ANTHONY – I hear ya man. I hear ya. Oh, here comes coach now.

(COACH PHILLIPS walks out with his notebook. He is walking with MALCOLM who is bouncing a ball and talking to him.)

COACH PHILLIPS – Is that so?
MALCOLM – Yes sir. I think so.

COACH PHILLIPS – Well look Malcolm. Let’s finish this conversation in my office after practice.

MALCOLM – Okay coach.

(MALCOLM smiles as he joins the other guys.)

COACH PHILLIPS – Aight everybody settle down and listen up. We gonna run some drills and then I got some new formations that I want to…

BUCK whispers – Wassup dog.

MALCOLM whispers – I aint no dog.

BUCK whispers – Oh my bad. Wassup horse.

(BUCK laughs under his breath.)

MALCOLM thinks – Yeah aight. Keep laughing.

COACH PHILLIPS – Okay so let’s get started. Buck get everybody going with a drill.

BUCK – Okay coach. Aight everybody. Line up for lay up drill.

(The team starts to get in line and start. BUCK gets in line last behind MALCOLM.)

MALCOLM – Hey Buck, I saw you on the court the other day practicing.

BUCK – You did? When?

MALCOLM – Saturday.

(MALCOLM goes up and makes a lay up. He then gets back in line. BUCK follows and makes his lay up and gets behind MALCOLM again.)

BUCK – Why didn’t you come out? We could’ve got a one on one going.

MALCOLM – Because I didn’t want to embarrass you in front of your lady friend.

BUCK thinks – Lady friend?

(MALCOLM goes for another lay up. BUCK follows.)

BUCK – What lady friend?

MALCOLM – That fine ass sister you were at the court with when you first pulled up. I saw yall talking over by the benches. What honey was that man?

----------------------------------------------------------------

ROBBIE just told LEAH that she could come visit him but immediately makes a phone call afterward.

TAMMI – Hello?
ROBBIE – Hi sweetie.

TAMMI – Hey baby! I was just thinking about you!

ROBBIE – Were you having a wet dream?
TAMMI – Shut up!

(They both laugh.)

TAMMI – What are you doing?
ROBBIE – Yo check this out! I got this dude in one of my psych classes who wants to be a bro.

TAMMI – Uh huh.

ROBBIE – So he just called me and was talking to me about wanting to be in the frat and he casually mentioned a test that I have tomorrow!
TAMMI – Tomorrow?
ROBBIE – Yeah!
TAMMI – You didn’t know about it?
ROBBIE – I completely forgot!

TAMMI – So what are you gonna do?
ROBBIE – Study my as off tonight! I gotta pull an all nighter.

TAMMI – Well what about our plans?
ROBBIE – I’m sorry sweetie. I really gotta study for this thing or I’m gonna fail.

TAMMI – But Robbie I’ve been looking forward to seeing you all week. I had exams this week so I aint seen you since last week!

(ROBBIE can tell that TAMMI is pouting.)

ROBBIE – I know sweetheart but I know if you come over I’m not gonna study. I never study when you’re here.

TAMMI – Yes you do!
ROBBIE – Tammi no I don’t and you know it.

TAMMI – I won’t mess with you.

ROBBIE – Yes you will! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
TAMMI – No I won’t.

(TAMMI is whining.)

ROBBIE – You can come over tomorrow baby.

TAMMI – You promise?
ROBBIE – I promise.

TAMMI – Okay.

ROBBIE – Don’t be sad baby. I promise I’ll make it up to you tomorrow.

TAMMI – Oh yeah? What you gonna do?
ROBBIE – That’s a surprise!

TAMMI – Ooooh! I like surprises! Hee hee!

ROBBIE – I know you do and I’ll take care of you tomorrow night okay?
TAMMI – Okay baby.

ROBBIE – Well let me get started. I’ll talk to you later okay? I got a long night ahead of me.

TAMMI – Okay baby.

ROBBIE – Talk to ya lata sweetie.

TAMMI – Good luck studying.

ROBBIE – Thanks. Bye.

TAMMI – Bye.

(They hang up and ROBBIE smiles to himself.)

ROBBIE thinks – I am the fuckin’ man!

----------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK – Why didn’t you come out when you saw me on the court? We could’ve got a one on one going.

MALCOLM – Because I didn’t want to embarrass you in front of your lady friend.

BUCK thinks – Lady friend?

(MALCOLM goes for another lay up. BUCK follows.)

BUCK – What lady friend?

MALCOLM – That fine ass sister you were at the court with when you first pulled up. I saw yall talking over by the benches. What honey was that man?

BUCK thinks – Ginger.

BUCK – Oh that was a friend of mine.

MALCOLM – You holding out man? I aint never seen her around campus before and I definitely wouldn’t forget her had I met her before! Ha ha ha.

BUCK – Naw dog. It aint like that.

MALCOLM – Uh huh.

(MALCOLM goes for another lay up. BUCK follows again.)

BUCK – Aight guys. Pass around.

(The team starts the pass around drill.)

MALCOLM – So if she’s just a friend, why don’t you hook a brother up man?
BUCK – Who? You?
MALCOLM – Yeah…dog. What’s her name?

(BUCK hesitates but answers.)

BUCK – Ginger.

MALCOLM – Okay. Hook me up with Ginger.

BUCK – Naw dude.

MALCOLM – Why not?

(BUCK turns away when the ball comes to him. He quickly passes it off and turns back to MALCOLM.)

BUCK – Ginger doesn’t like horses.

(BUCK laughs. MALCOLM doesn’t.)

MALCOLM – Whatever man.

(After the pass around drill, COACH PHILLIPS begins the regular practice. It is an intense practice as he introduces new formations to the team. Midway through practice, MALCOLM notices his pledgees DWAYNE and MARK enter the gym. MALCOLM makes his way over to them. He grabs a towel and is wiping his face as he approaches.)

CENTAURS – Greetings Big Brother Double Dribble.
MALCOLM – Yeah yeah whatever. Yall got my stuff?
CENTAUR DWAYNE – Yes Big Brother. We got everything.

MALCOLM – Okay. You know where my locker is. Put everything in there and I will see you two tonight. Make sure you got your class assignments done and complete by the time I get home. Let me know your exam schedules for this week and next week by the time I get done with practice too.

CENTAURS – Yes Big Brother Double Dribble.

MALCOLM – Now yall get out of here.

(They turn to leave.)

MALCOLM – Hey Mark.

CENTAUR MARK – Yes Big Brother Double Dribble.

MALCOLM – You been hanging out with your girl?

(MALCOLM smiles.)

CENTAUR MARK – No Big Brother Double Dribble.

MALCOLM – Don’t lie. I’m gonna call Jennifer and ask her! Ha ha ha! Get out of here.

(The Centaurs leave and pass JUNE on their way out. She is coming in.)

MALCOLM – Hey miss lady.

JUNE – Hi Malcolm. Yall almost done?
MALCOLM – Uh yeah. We should only be another ten or fifteen minutes.

JUNE – Okay good. How you been?
MALCOLM – Good. How about yourself?

JUNE – I can’t complain.

MALCOLM – I know that’s right. I thought I saw you last weekend but it wasn’t you.

JUNE – Oh yeah? When?
MALCOLM – I went to the court to shoot last Saturday. Out at the park and Buck was there shooting too.

JUNE – At the park?
MALCOLM – Yeah. So I thought he was there talking with you but when I got closer I saw that it wasn’t you. Ha ha ha. It was Ginger.

JUNE – Ginger?
MALCOLM – Yeah. All you fine sisters look so much alike nowadays. Ha ha ha.

(BUCK smiles. JUNE smiles too but is concerned.)

JUNE – Boy go ahead! Who is Ginger?
MALCOLM – Oh you don’t know her?

JUNE – I don’t think so.

MALCOLM – Oh.

(MALCOLM turns to walk back to practice. He wipes his head with the towel then turns back toward JUNE.)

MALCOLM – Ask Buck.

No comments: