Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 43

ANGELIQUE's phone rings right as she is getting out of the shower.

ANGELIQUE - Shit!

(She throws her towel around herself and runs into her room.)

ANGELIQUE - Hello! Hello!

PAULA - Angie, wassup its me!

ANGELIQUE - Dag girl, I'm bout to break my neck trying to get the phone and its you!

PAULA - Listen, I need to tell you something real important.

ANGELIQUE - It better be! Do you know I am standing here with my...

(There is a knock on the door.)

ANGELIQUE - What the heck? Is this Grand Central station? Hold on Paula.

PAULA - No wait wait...

(ANGELIQUE puts the phone down.)

ANGELIQUE - Hold on!

ANGELIQUE thinks - Shoot!

(She throws her sweat pants over her wet legs and grabs a shirt.)

ANGELIQUE - Who is it?

CANDACE - Hey its me. Open up.

ANGELIQUE - Oh! Hey girl!

(She opens the door and stands behind it. She still has not put her shirt on but has her towel draped around her neck.)

ANGELIQUE - Hey, come on in. I just got out the shower.

CANDACE - Yeah, we need to talk.

ANGELIQUE - Uh... yeah... sure... hold on one second.

(ANGELIQUE can tell that CANDACE is serious. CANDACE sits down and ANGELIQUE throws her shirt on. She puts her towel around her head and picks her phone up.)

ANGELIQUE - Hey, I gotta go.

PAULA - Wait wait...

ANGELIQUE - I gotta go, Candace is here and she wants to talk to me.

PAULA - I know! She's about to...

(click)

ANGELIQUE - Hey Candace, what's going on girl? What's wrong?

(silence)

(CANDACE carefully chooses her words before she begins speaking.)

CANDACE - Did you speak with Donna about her interest in the sorority?

ANGELIQUE thinks - Damn! Paula told!

ANGELIQUE - Um... yeah. Uh, she came by here to speak with me and um, Paula was here.

CANDACE - What did you tell Donna?

ANGELIQUE - I mean... what you mean what I tell her? In general?

(CANDACE just stares back angrily.)

ANGELIQUE - We just talked about her interest. And I really don't know her, so um, I just talked to her about why she wants to be...

CANDACE - You took the conversation somewhere else and you know it!

ANGELIQUE - Who told yo...

CANDACE - Nevermind who told me! What the hell is the matter with you?

ANGELIQUE - What?

CANDACE - Don't what me Angelique and don't play games with me cuz I don't have time!

ANGELIQUE - I didn't mean nothing by it. Gosh I was just playing.

CANDACE - Playing? Playing! Since when was this about fun and games!

ANGELIQUE - I just was trying to see how dedicated she would be, thats all gosh.

CANDACE - We don't test people like that and you know it!

(silence)

ANGELIQUE - Candace, I was just...

(There is a knock on the door and ANGELIQUE jumps up to get it to get away from CANDACE for a slight moment and possibly change the topic. She opens the door.)

ANDY - Angie my girl! What's the deal! I heard you grilled that Donna chick! Good shit!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALVIN is in GWEN's room and the paramedics are knocking at the door.

GWEN - I'm not seeing them.

CALVIN - Gwen what is wrong with you! You scared me half to death and you need to see a doctor! What if I hadn't poured that water in your mouth? What if you were driving and this happened! You have lupus and you need to get treated!

GWEN - This aint got nothin' to do with...

(There is a banging on the door.)

MEDIC - Doctors! Open up!

(GWEN and CALVIN look at one another.)

CALVIN - I'm opening the door.

GWEN - No you're not! Let them go away!

CALVIN - Hell no! You need to be seen!

(CALVIN goes to open the door.)

GWEN - Calvin wait!

(CALVIN opens the door.)

FOSTER - We got a call that someone is sick here.

CALVIN - Uh yeah, I called.

FOSTER - What's the problem?

CALVIN - My friend passed out and I didn't know what was wrong with her.

FOSTER - Okay.

(FOSTER enters the room with his partner and their equipment.)

FOSTER - Are you okay?

GWEN - I'm fine, there's nothing at all wrong with me.

FOSTER - Well let's give you a quick check to make sure things are okay.

GWEN - I'd rather you didn't.

CALVIN - Gwen...

FOSTER - Just precautionary maam. Please.

(silence)

CALVIN - Please Gwen.

(silence)

GWEN - Okay, on one condition.

CALVIN - Sure! Anything!

GWEN - You have to leave while they do it.

(She points to CALVIN.)

CALVIN - Oh... um, okay, I can just step into the hall or something.

GWEN - No, you have to leave. Go home.

CALVIN - But...

FOSTER - Sir, I need to get started. Time is of the essence so if she wants you to leave, can you just leave?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANDACE is in ANGELIQUE's room discussing ANGELIQUE's treatment of DONNA.

ANGELIQUE - Candace, I was just...

(There is a knock on the door and ANGELIQUE jumps up to get it to get away from CANDACE for a slight moment and possibly change the topic. She opens the door.)

ANDY - Angie my girl! What's the deal! I heard you grilled that Donna chick! Good shit!

ANGELIQUE thinks - Oh gosh!

ANGELIQUE - Shhhh!

(ANDY starts to walk in.)

ANDY - What's wrong with you?

(ANDY looks into the room past ANGELIQUE and sees CANDACE seated.)

ANDY - Hey soror! Long time no see! How you doing?

CANDACE - Did I just hear you approve of how Angelique treated Donna a few days ago?

ANDY - Huh?

CANDACE - What did you just say about Donna?

(ANGELIQUE sits down quietly.)

ANDY - Donna... oh I was just saying that I heard what went down when Donna came to talk to Angie.

CANDACE - And your take on it?

ANDY - My take on it is that she did the right thing.

CANDACE - Excuse me?

ANDY - Why was Donna over here talking to one of my girls in the first place? We need to grill these chicks from day one!

CANDACE - Your girls? Hold up Andy, now we've been through this crap before! There's no such thing as your girls and my girls, we're sorors and Donna came over here to meet ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho. Period!

ANDY - Donna needs to handle her business with Sigma Gamma Rho at Ahpla University, period.

CANDACE - Is that so? So does that mean when we throw our parties, have our luncheon and do our pinning ceremony, we need to stop inviting... your girls?

(silence)

CANDACE - Your way of thinking is bull Andy and I told you that before.

ANDY - No, yall's way of thinking is bull!

CANDACE - So we're not all sorors?

ANDY - I aint even talking about that. I'm talking about how the entire world worships the ground you walk on.

ANGELIQUE thinks - Huh? Oh shit!

CANDACE - What did you say!

ANDY - Just know this... just because you say something, that don't make it Sigma law alright? And just because the rest of the sorors blindly follow behind every little thing you say doesn't mean that I have to. I think for myself and do as I please and you can keep your Donna or whoever on your campus with your terms. But if she comes over here, consider her grilled like she got last time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The officer brings ERIC into the room to speak with AKINA.

AKINA - Oh my God! Baby!

(The quickly hug. ERIC squeezes he so tightly, she loses her breath.)

AKINA - I love you Eric! I love you baby!

ERIC - I love you too!

AKINA - Baby, what is going on? Eric what is happening?

ERIC - I don't know! That bitch is fuckin' crazy! I'm gonna kill her ass!

AKINA - Don't say that!

(AKINA looks around the room.)

AKINA - They probably got cameras in here and stuff and they gonna change your words all around!

ERIC - Yeah, most of what I've said has done nothing but get me in trouble so far anyway. You're right.

(They sit down. There are still two officers in the room.)

AKINA - Tell me how this all happened?

MRS. ROSS - Actually, you can tell me.

(A very sharp dressed woman walks into the room. She extends her hand toward ERIC. One of the officers leaves.)

MRS. ROSS - Hi, I am Mrs. Ross and I've been assigned to your case.

ERIC - Are you a lawyer?

MRS. ROSS - No, I work for the state. Moreso in the capacity of social work.

ERIC - What can you do?

MRS. ROSS - I make an assesment of what happened and try to determine the best thing to do from here.

AKINA - Can you help us? Someone is setting him up.

MRS. ROSS - I can certainly try.

(She sits down and takes out a pad and pen.)

MRS. ROSS - Okay, tell me what happened... from the beginning.

JESSICA - Hi Eric.

ERIC - How the heck did you get in here?

JESSICA - I just came to see how you were doing. Do you like your accomodations? I worked really hard to make sure you got the best suite in the house. Ha ha ha ha ha!

ERIC - Jess, what is wrong with you?

JESSICA - Nothing is wrong with me, what is wrong with you? Why can't you realize that I make you happy? Huh? We were so happy together Eric!

ERIC - That was a long time ago.

JESSICA - Its sweet memories. And I know you still love me. Love never dies Eric, it never dies.

ERIC - Jess, you're talking crazy okay? I'm with Akina now and she is the only person I am with. I love her.

JESSICA - No you don't! No you don't love that bitch! She hates us together! She hates our love!

ERIC - Our love? We don't have any love? What are you talking about?

(JESSICA smiles as she locks the door.)

ERIC - So then...

MRS. ROSS - Wait, wait...

(ERIC stops speaking.)

MRS. ROSS - Eric, if you're gonna tell me the story, please tell me the truth okay? I can tell you're lying already!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALVIN is walking from GWEN's house.

CALVIN thinks - I can't do this anymore. Damn man! I care about her and keep getting penalized for that shit.

(He gets to the dorm.)

CALVIN thinks - This is crazy! What the heck is wrong with her anyway? What if something is really wrong? I know it has something to do with her lupus. What if she is really ill? Then I'd be a hero for saving her life!

(He starts to walk up the stairs.)

CALVIN thinks - But I try to show that I care and look how she treats me. What's up with that?

(He gets upstairs and knocks on his frat brother's door.)

CALVIN thinks - I can't believe she's treating me like this!

(The door opens.)

AHMAD - Hey Cal, come on in man.

CALVIN - What you doin'?

AHMAD - Chillin'. Where you been? We was all over at the frat house for a while.

CALVIN - Man, listen to this mess I'm in.

AHMAD - Wassup?

CALVIN - I need some advice. Between me and you okay?

AHMAD - Sure, okay.

CALVIN - Okay you know I been hanging with Gwen.

AHMAD - Yeah.

CALVIN - Okay, so I'm just trying to get to know her better and whatever and I come to find out that she has a serious illness.

AHMAD - She does? HIV?

CALVIN - No no, nothing like that. She has lupus. But please keep that right here man.

AHMAD - Oh yeah yeah, I won't tell anybody that. Damn.

CALVIN - She never wants to talk about it and I can respect that. Nobody knows. I don't even think her sorors know. But when it comes to me, I try and help and she bites my head off for it.

AHMAD - Well like you said, she doesn't like to talk about it or deal with it so I can imagine even though you are trying to do a good thing, she is taking it as a bad thing.

CALVIN - Well I'm trying to understand that mentality. When someone is trying to help you, you taking it the wrong way. But what's fuckin' with me worse than that, is what just happened.

AHMAD - What happened?

CALVIN - She got sick while I was there. She like passed out cold. So I don't know what to do and I just start grabbing medicine like crazy.

AHMAD - What!

CALVIN - Okay I panicked, I can admit that that probably wasn't the smartest thing in the world, but what was I supposed to do? I didn't know. So I give her some water, she wakes up. She starts to go off on me for trying to help and when the ambulance guys get there, she asks me to leave. What's up with that?

AHMAD - Well, I can understand her being a little stand offish about things. If you really care, you're just gonna have to give her her space and try to be there for her as a friend.

CALVIN - Yeah but its getting frustrating.

AHMAD - I can imagine. But hang in there with her. If you want to be her friend. Just be open with her and let her know how you feel. Always be honest. But always tell your feelings. That's what I do. I keep it real.

CALVIN - Thanks. You're good to talk to.

AHMAD - Just call me Dr. Maad.

(They laugh.)

CALVIN - What ever happened with you and your girlfriend?

AHMAD - You mean my ex?

CALVIN - Yall broke up for good? Damn man, sorry.

AHMAD - Don't be sorry, I broke it off. After what she pulled, I wasn't trying to be with her anymore.

CALVIN - Dag man.

AHMAD - She called a few times apologizing and I listened but I just don't see her the same way now.

CALVIN - So you back on the market yet?

AHMAD- Nope!

CALVIN - You taking yourself out of the game? No more chasing honies huh?

AHMAD - Naw dude, not like that. If you find the queen bee, there's no more need the chase honey. I finally met the one!

CALVIN - Huh?

AHMAD - I got somebody new.

CALVIN - Already?

AHMAD - Why waste time if I've found the one!

(CALVIN is looking up at AHMAD like he is crazy.)

CALVIN - The one? Who did you hook up with so quick?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MRS. ROSS - Eric, if you're gonna tell me the story, please tell me the truth okay? I can tell you're lying already!

ERIC - What? I am telling the truth!

MRS. ROSS - Eric...

(She shifts and looks through other papers that she has in a folder.)

MRS. ROSS - It says here that she is claiming this happened in a hospital and you verified that.

ERIC - Yeah, so?

MRS. ROSS - Hospitals don't have locks on the doors. No hospital rooms do.

ERIC - Look, all I know is when the two security guys came up running like the keystone cops, they were fumbling with some keys to get into the room.

MRS. ROSS - Okay... I'll take the info down, but I'm tellin' ya, that aint gonna hold up.

AKINA - Well I don't appreciate you assuming he wasn't telling the truth.

MRS. ROSS - Excuse me, you really don't have any say in this matter. This is between Eric and I.

AKINA - Oh but I do have say and I will have say because...

ERIC - Akina... let me handle this.

(She angrily quiets down.)

ERIC - Look Mrs. Ross, I really don't appreciate your stance on this either. I have no reason to lie because I didn't do anything wrong. You're not a lawyer so I don't have to talk to you and I haven't been offered a lawyer since I came in here. This is totally ridiculous that I am even here like this when nothing happened. Now if you're here to help me, then please help me. Help us.

(silence)

(MRS. ROSS stands up and closes her pad.)

MRS. ROSS - I will see what I can do about getting you representation and getting you out of here quickly.

(She turns without another word and walks away. The door closes as she walks out.)

AKINA - This is the worst nightmare I could ever have.

ERIC - Well it will all be over soon, don't worry about that.

AKINA thinks - The next time I see that crazy bitch, I'm gonna...

ERIC whispers - What was the deal with that lady Mrs. Ross? She had an attitude.

AKINA - Yeah, I would snatch that weave out her head if I wouldn't get arrested on the spot!

(The door slowly opens again and SEARGENT FORBES walks back in.)

SEARGENT FORBES - Okay sir you are free to go. We just need to sign you out at the front and give you a few papers.

ERIC - Thank God!

AKINA - Yes! Yes!

(They stand up and ERIC takes AKINA's hand as they walk toward the front behind the Seargent.)

ERIC - Oh God, this has been an ordeal!

AKINA - Well we can go home now and relax!

ERIC - Yeah! I am so tired from all this.

(They get to the front and ERIC sees his frat brothers JAY and PHIL who are sitting with AKINA's sorors, HOLLY, TRACEY, and RENEE.)

JAY - Yo man, what the heck? Are you alright?

ERIC - I'll explain later. For now, let me just sign up and get out of here!

JAY - No doubt! Crazy man, crazy!

(ERIC and AKINA go to the front desk. SEARGENT FORBES signs ERIC out.)

AKINA - Finally this craziness is over!

ERIC - Yeah, I can go back to life as normal and forget this ever happened!

SEARGENT FORBES - Uh, actually no you can't.

ERIC - Huh?

SEARGENT FORBES - You're just being released from here for today. You will be notified as to when you are supposed to show up in court to see if you have to stand trial.

No comments: