Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 4

RENEE and TRACEY are in RENEE's room. They are getting ready to go hang out at the mall.

RENEE - Girl, that looks fine! Will you come on!

TRACEY - You can't rush these things Nay. You know that!
RENEE thinks - Good Lord!

(RENEE slumps back on the bed as she waits for TRACEY to choose which sweater of three to wear.)

TRACEY - You never know what cuties are gonna be up in the mall. You have to look your best.

RENEE - Whatever! By the time we get there, the mall is gonna be closing and there won't be any cuties to look at.

TRACEY - Aright alright, I'm coming. I'm gonna wear this sweater.

RENEE - Oh, the same one you tried on first, forty five minutes ago?

TRACEY - Yeah yeah, I'm coming! Ha ha ha ha!
RENEE thinks - Sheesh!

(RENEE stands up. TRACEY's cell phone rings. RENEE sits back down.)

TRACEY - I'll get rid of whoever is callin'.

RENEE - Uh huh.

(TRACEY answers her phone as she pulls the sweater over her head. .)

TRACEY - Hello.

AISHA - What's up.

TRACEY - Hey.

AISHA - What you doin'?
TRACEY - Bout to go to the mall with Renee.

AISHA - Oh okay cool.

TRACEY - I'll call you when we get back.

AISHA - Okay. Buy me something.

TRACEY - Girl please! Whatever!
AISHA - A sweater or something! Come on Tracey!
TRACEY - No Aisha!
AISHA - Please!

TRACEY - Bye!

(TRACEY laughs as she hangs up.)

TRACEY - Okay Renee. You ready?
RENEE - Yeah. Who was that?
TRACEY - My sister.

RENEE - Oh. How's she doing?
TRACEY - She's cool.

RENEE - When she gonna follow your footsteps to AKA?
TRACEY - Ha ha ha ha...according to her...never!

(RENEE opens the door so they can leave, they walk out and see ERIC going into JESSICA's room.)

RENEE - Uh...hey Eric. What's up?

(ERIC turns around and manages a smile as he sees AKINA's sorors.)

ERIC - Oh uh...hey Renee. What's up Trace.

TRACEY - Hi Eric.

(ERIC quickly turns around and follows JESSICA into her room. The door closes. RENEE looks at TRACEY as they begin walking down the hall.)

TRACEY - Did you see what I just saw?
RENEE - Don't start no mess Tracey. This is none of our business.

(They get on the elevator.)

TRACEY - Girl what you mean? We just saw our soror's man go into his ex girlfriend's room!
RENEE - And that is none of our business. So do you think your sister wants to go DST or Zeta or something?

(TRACEY laughs as she sees that RENEE is changing the subject. She smiles to acknowledge that this is a battle not worth fighting.)

TRACEY - Actually, I don't think she wants to pledge at all. She'll be an independent for life.

RENEE - Nothing wrong with that I guess. Nothing worse than girls trying to be AKAs that don't need to be AKAs.

TRACEY - I know that's right. We got enough AKAs now. Not enough sorors.

(RENEE laughs.)

RENEE - Yeah.

TRACEY - Like that damn Mona Ferguson. Man she is a trip.

RENEE - Girl no she isn't.
TRACEY - What? Are you trippin'?

RENEE - Look, I know everybody hates Soror Mona. But let me tell you why I don't have a problem with her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JESSICA has offered her computer to ERIC for him to send his assignment to his professor. As she opens her door to let her in, the door across the hall opens.

RENEE - Uh...hey Eric. What's up?

(ERIC turns around and manages a smile as he sees AKINA's sorors.)

ERIC - Oh uh...hey Renee. What's up Trace.

TRACEY - Hi Eric.

(ERIC quickly turns around and follows JESSICA into her room. The door closes.)

ERIC thinks - Damn! Damn! Damn!

JESSICA - Let me set the computer up for ya.

ERIC - Uh yeah. Okay.

JESSICA - The peach cobbler is in the fridge. You can get some if you want. But don't get greedy!
ERIC - Okay thanks.

(ERIC goes into the kitchen but doesn't open the refridgerater yet.)

ERIC thinks - Damn! I know they're gonna tell Akina that they saw me going into Jessica's.

TRACEY - Akina, I saw your man Eric going in to see his ex girl Jessica!

AKINA - What!

TRACEY - Yes girl! I saw it with my own eyes!

AKINA - Are you sure it was him?
TRACEY - Yes! I spoke to him and his cheatin' ass spoke back!

AKINA - He told me that he was going to see Jay!
TRACEY - All men are dogs!

AKINA - Well he's gonna be a dead damn dog when I see him!

JESSICA - You didn't get the peach cobbler?
ERIC - Huh?

(ERIC sees JESSICA walking toward him in the kitchen.)

JESSICA - You don't want any?
ERIC - Huh...oh I just thought about something and started day dreaming.

JESSICA - Boy! Stop driftin'.

(JESSICA smiles as she passes by ERIC and opens the fridge.)

JESSICA - Here, let me dish you up some.
ERIC - Uh Jess, let me just shoot this email over and bounce. I got some things I gotta do and I'm gonna be runnin' late.

JESSICA - You don't want any cobbler?
ERIC - No Jess, I gotta get out of here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RENEE and TRACEY get into the car to head to the mall.

TRACEY - How in the world can you say that you don't have a problem with Mona Ferguson? After all she's done?
RENEE - What have you ever seen her do?
TRACEY - What? Well she...I mean she...

RENEE - Uh huh. What?

TRACEY - Well she...she...

RENEE - You haven't seen her do anything. Everything is hearsay.

TRACEY - So you're saying that sorors are making up shit about her? All the sorors are lying?
RENEE - No, I'm not saying that at all. But I've been a soror long enough to know that sorors love drama and that's all they talk about.

TRACEY - That's true.

RENEE - So if it's a story that involves drama, I never know who to beleive. You feel me?
TRACEY - I hear what you're saying.

RENEE - So I'm not saying that sorors are lying. I'm just saying.

TRACEY - Well what about the fact that she's suspended now?
RENEE - Apparently she didn't follow protocal. That's not shady or anything. And because she didn't follow protocal, Soror Bergen came down on her. Now you know yourself how Soror Bergen is. Her tight ass won't let anything slip by.

TRACEY - Well that's true.

RENEE - So all I'm saying is before we throw the girl in the trash like the other sorors have, I'd like to hear a few things from the horse's mouth.

TRACEY - Forget that. I trust PJ and PJ says she wants to kick Mona's ass. That's good enough for me.

(They both laugh.)

RENEE - But see, that's PJ's word. What about what Katrice says? Does her word not mean anything?
TRACEY - What did Katrice say?
RENEE - If you listen to Katrice tell the story, Mona isn't that bad of a person.

TRACEY - Really?
RENEE - Yeah. She says she doesn't excuse her from all wrong doing, but what soror is perfect? She says that Mona gets blamed for a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with her and a lot of people just black ball her for no reason.

TRACEY - Wow, I hear it.

(They pull up at the mall and RENEE parks.)

RENEE - All I'm sayin' is this Trace, you really can't believe everything you hear, even when it's from sorors. Do you think it's really possible for one person to cause that much drama? I'm sure PJ and them hyped the story up just a little.
TRACEY - Yeah, I guess.

(RENEE and TRACEY walk into the mall and walk through the department store toward the food court.)

RENEE - I just want to get a bottled water.

TRACEY - Yeah, I'll get one too.

(As RENEE and TRACEY are going up the escalator she recognizes MARCUS walking downstairs with one of his friends.)

RENEE - Oh my God! It's Marcus!
TRACEY - Who?
RENEE - Right there!

(RENEE points.)

RENEE - Remember that great guy that I met in the club and then he disappeared?
TRACEY - Oh yeah! I do remember that! You never found out what happened to him?
RENEE - No I didn't...

(RENEE starts to rush to the top of the escalator so she can turn around and come back down.)

RENEE - ...but I'm bout to find out exactly why he didn't come back to me that night!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK and JUNE get off the bus and walk to the gates of Ahpla University. BUCK is taking JUNE home.

BUCK - Are you sure your stomach isn't bothering you? You've been kinda quiet since we ate. Are you alright?
JUNE - I'm sorry, but I'm okay. My stomach is a little queezy.

BUCK - I thought so.

(BUCK pulls her close and kisses her forehead.)

BUCK - I know my baby. I know when something is wrong. You wanna lay down when we get to your place?
JUNE - I can't. I got too much work to do and too much on my mind.

BUCK - What's on your mind?
JUNE - Just school stuff. Ya know. I'm stressin' out over shit.

BUCK thinks - Shit?
BUCK - You're stressin' over school? And did you just curse?
JUNE - I'm sorry Buck. But just walking on campus starts to remind me of all I have to work on and my stress level rises.

BUCK - Damn baby. Well is there anything that I can do to help?

(BUCK raises JUNE's hand that he is holding and kisses it as they continue to walk.)

JUNE thinks - Yeah, you can tell me who Ginger is.

JUNE - No, I'll be alright.

BUCK - Well maybe I'll stick around for a while. And keep you company. I don't have to rush back to campus and I have my books with me so I can read over here at your place.

JUNE - You don't have to do that.

BUCK - But I want to. It's okay.

JUNE - Thanks.

(silence)

BUCK - Are you sure there isn't something else bothering you June?

(silence)

JUNE - No.

(silence)

TY - Roof! Roof!

(BUCK and JUNE look to see TY walking toward them. He is throwing the Omega sign to BUCK. BUCK returns the gesture.)

BUCK - What's up dog.

TY - Chillin dog! What yall up to? Hey June.

JUNE - Hello Ty.

BUCK - We're just walking to her room. June isn't feeling too well so I'm telling her she should lay down.

TY - Yeah, I hear ya. Take this man's advice June. He really cares about ya! Ha ha ha ha!

(JUNE manages a smile.)

TY - Well I'll catch up with yall later then.

BUCK - Aight dog.

TY - Easy.

(TY walks away and BUCK and JUNE get to the dorm. BUCK is observing JUNE's silence.)

BUCK - How's your stomach? Is it getting worse?
JUNE - Naw. I'm okay.

(JUNE looks like she is about to cry. As they enter the lobby and go to check JUNE's mailbox, BUCK grabs her arm and stops her.)

BUCK - June baby listen to me. I know when something is wrong with you. Now I know your stomach is bothering you and that is apparent. But something else is definitely wrong. You've been very distant all day. Even since you picked me up from practice. I love you June and it hurts me that you won't open up and talk to me. Now what is going on?

(silence)

BUCK - Tell me what is wrong with you?
JUNE - Buck tell me who Ginger is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AKINA is sitting on the bed. She has a towel wrapped around her head and a robe on. She is watching television when Eric comes back in.

ERIC - Hey.

AKINA - Hey.

(silence)

ERIC - What's goin'on?
AKINA - Oh nothin'. Just being lazy. How did the email thing go?
ERIC - I sent it off.
AKINA - Oh good.

ERIC thinks - Maybe she doesn't know! Maybe Tracey and Renee aren't gonna tell her!

AKINA - You know you need to quit procrastinating and waiting until the last minute to do things. Didn't I tell you about that?

(ERIC manages a laugh.)

ERIC - I know I know! Ha ha ha ha.

(ERIC walks into the bathroom to use it.)

ERIC thinks - Maybe Renee and Tracey are gonna mind their business! For once they won't be all up in my mix! If that's the case, I gotta hand it to em. Especially loud mouth Tracey! God! I can't even imagine her not telling everybody on campus!

(ERIC uses the bathroom and starts to wash his hands. AKINA calls to him from the bedroom.)

AKINA - How is Jay? What's he doing today?

ERIC thinks - Oh shit!

(ERIC looks at himself in the mirror.)

ERIC thinks - Dammit! They may have told her! If I tell her that Jay is cool like I just came from there...and she already knows that I didn't...then...dammit!

ERIC - What did you say? I didn't hear you.

ERIC thinks - But if I admit to going to Jessica's house, and Akina doesn't know anything...then I'm telling on myself and...dammit!

AKINA - I said how is Jay. What's up with him?

(ERIC comes out of the bathroom. AKINA is flipping the channels on television with the remote.)

AKINA - What's up with Jay today?

(silence)

ERIC - I don't know Akina. I didn't go see him.

(AKINA stops with the remote and turns to look at ERIC.)

AKINA - You didn't see him? I thought you said the email went through okay.

ERIC - It did. But I didn't do it from Jay's place.

AKINA - Oh. Well where did you send it off from?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK and JUNE have just entered JUNE's dorm on Ahpla's campus. BUCK has confronted her about her silence and her attitude and JUNE questions him back.

BUCK - June tell me what is wrong with you?
JUNE - Okay Buck. Tell me who Ginger is.

(silence)

BUCK - Ginger? Who told you anything about Ginger?
JUNE - Nevermind that. Who is she?

(silence)

JUNE - Buck let me make something perfectly clear. I am not accusing you of anything. I'm not jumping to conclusions on anything. I'm not being suspicious, I'm not saying that you are doing anything shady or fou or cheatingl. I just heard about someone named Ginger and I would like to know who it is.

BUCK thinks - Damn.

(BUCK lets out a huge sigh.)

BUCK thinks - God!

(BUCK puts his head down and rubs his forehead.)

BUCK - Come here.

(BUCK takes JUNE by the hand and leads her from the mail room back toward the lobby.)

BUCK - June, you know I would never lie to you right?
JUNE - Yes. I believe that Buck. I really do.

BUCK - Okay. I want you to follow me. Don't ask any questions. Just follow me.

JUNE - Wait wait.

(JUNE notices how BUCK's demeanor has changed so drastically.)

JUNE - I don't want to go anywhere. I just want you to tell me what's going on.

BUCK - I can't.

(BUCK turns to walk out of the dorm.)

BUCK - Are you coming or not?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AKINA - You didn't see Jay? I thought you said the email went through to your professor okay.

ERIC - It did. But I didn't do it from Jay's place.

AKINA - Oh. Well where did you send it off from?

(ERIC sits down on the bed.)

ERIC - I sent the email from Jessica's room.

AKINA - From Jessica's room?

ERIC - Yeah. Um, I was on my way to Jay's and you know I was in a hurry. I ran into Jessica in the elevator and I told her where I was going. So she offered her computer to me. It made it a lot faster then going all the way to the dorm to hook up with Jay. So I went in, emailed it off, and left.

(silence)

(AKINA turns back to the television and changes the channel.)

AKINA - Oh. Okay.

(The only sound in the room is the television channels being changed.)

ERIC - What.

AKINA - What?
ERIC - Don't you have anything to say about that?
AKINA - Naw, it's cool. As long as you got the email sent.

ERIC - Come on. Talk to me. I know you're upset.

AKINA - No I'm not.

ERIC - Yes you are.

AKINA - How you gonna tell me how I feel?
ERIC - Because I know you. I know you don't like Jess and I know how you react to things.

AKINA - So if you know me so well...

(AKINA changes her attention from the television back to ERIC.)

AKINA - ...if you know me so well, then why would you do something that you know is gonna piss me off? If you know I don't like Jessica because all she wants to do is get back together with you...if you know that I don't want you up in her spot because all that is doing is giving her ideas and feeding her mind...if you know I would've prefered for you to go ahead and make the long ass journey to Jay's, like it's a long journey or something, then why would you come in here and tell me that you went to Jessica's?

ERIC - Because I did and I'm being honest. Nothing happened at all. I went in, I logged on, I put in the disc, I pulled up the paper, I cut and pasted it, I sent it off. I logged off, I left.

AKINA - Eric you are so damn naive.

ERIC - What? Nothing happened Akina. What are you talking about?
AKINA - Men are so stupid and naive sometimes. You don't even realize what that simple act planted in her mind do you?
ERIC - Oh don't be silly Akina. It isn't even like that.

AKINA - Oh no? Well we'll see about that. But I guarantee you Eric, you done started something with your ex. I guarantee.

(AKINA angrily rolls off the bed and starts to get dressed.)

No comments: