Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 34

ERIC pins JESSICA down on his hospital bed. He is on top of her and is holding her arms so she cannot move.

ERIC - Somebody help me! Help! Help me please!

JESSICA - Eric... what the fuck!

(She looks him in the eyes.)

JESSICA - ...are you doing!

ERIC - Security! Somebody help me!

JESSICA - Eric, you are making a big mistake!

ERIC - The only person making a mistake bitch is you! What are you crazy or something?

JESSICA - Eric, I love you! Let me up!

ERIC - Hell no!

(He screams louder.)

ERIC - Somebody help me!

(A nurse rushes to the door and tries to open it. Its locked. She looks inside the room then runs down the hall.)

ERIC - Security! Help!

JESSICA - Eric...

(JESSICA is speaking very calmly.)

JESSICA - Eric don't do this sweetheart. I love you and I know you love me. You don't want to do things like this.

(ERIC is ignoring her.)

ERIC - Please somebody! Open the door!

(Two security guards come running with the nurse. They try and open the door.)

ERIC - Jessica I don't want you anymore! Especially not now! I don't ever want to see you again!

JESSICA - Eric don't say that!

ERIC - Listen to me and listen to me well... I never want to speak to you again! I love Akina and I don't love you!

(JESSICA starts to struggle to get her arms free.)

JESSICA - Eric don't say that! We love each other!

ERIC - No we don't! I don't love you! I love Akina! I don't love you!

(One of the guards pulls out a ring of keys and is trying to fit one into the door.)

ERIC - I don't ever want to see you near me or Akina again! Don't call me and leave me alone!

JESSICA - Eric! Get off me! Get off me dammit! Get off me!

(JESSICA begins to violently squirm underneath ERIC.)

JESSICA - No! You don't love her! You love me! You love me! Get off me!

ERIC - No! You're crazy!

JESSICA - Get off me! Let me go! Get off me!

(The security guard finds the master key and opens the door.)

GUARD - Hey!

JESSICA - Stop! Stop! Get off me! Help me! Please help me! He's raping me!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MALCOLM is shaking DWAYNE who is lying on the floor motionless.

MALCOLM - Aw damn! Damn! Damn!

(He shakes him again as the phone rings.)

MALCOLM - Uh... shit!

(He grabs the phone.)

MALCOLM - Hello?

SAM - What the hell is going on? Kevin just called me and said you hurt Dwayne!

MALCOLM - Man, I didn't even do anything to him! One minute he was fine and the next... oh wait...

(MALCOLM sees DWAYNE move a little.)

SAM - Hello! Hello!

MALCOLM - Dwayne! Can you hear me?

SAM - I'm on my way over!

(MALCOLM doesn't hear SAM because he placed the phone down. SAM dials SEAN.)

SEAN - What's up!

SAM - Yo man! Malcolm hurt the pledgee!

SEAN - I know! We're on our way over there now!

SAM - Come by and scoop me up! I'll go with you!

SEAN - Come outside now! I'm right around the corner from your spot!

SAM - Okay cool! I'll meet you out front!

(They hang up.)

SAIFA - That was Ray?

SEAN - No Sam.

SAIFA - Oh okay.

DR. MWATSUMI - This is terrible! Just terrible!

SAIFA - Yeah, we need to talk about this bullshit! We don't get down like this! What the hell was Malcolm thinking?

SEAN - We don't know what happened yet so we can't start placing blame.

SAIFA - He's always reacted stupid though. This is just another thing in a long line of things he has done!

DR. MWATSUMI - I think Saifa is right. We cannot tolerate behavior like this. Someone can get hurt and the fraternity will be held liable. That cannot be the case.

(SEAN turns the corner and sees SAM running out.)

SEAN - There he is.

(SEAN slows down and pulls over. The car is still moving when SAM jumps in the back. SEAN speeds off toward Amgis College.)

SAM - Hey frat!

SAIFA - Wassup man.

DR. MWATSUMI - Hello Brother Sam. Have you heard from Ray?

SAM - He's in class. But I left him a message to call me.

DR. MWATSUMI - Good.

SAM - So what exactly went down?

SEAN - We don't know all the details.

SAIFA - But Sean got a call from Kevin who said that Malcolm hurt Dwayne and that Dwayne was over at Malcolm's house without permission.

SAM - Really?

SAIFA - Yeah.

SAM - Damn.

(silence)

SAM - Well its about time that nigga started pledgin'! Shit!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The security guard opens the door to ERIC's room. Both guards rush in as do two nurses.

JESSICA - Eric! Get off me! Get off me dammit! Get off me!

(The security guard finds the master key and opens the door.)

GUARD - Hey!

JESSICA - Stop! Stop! Get off me! Help me! Please help me! He's raping me!

GUARD - Hey! Get your hands off of her!

(The guard rushes the bed and tackles ERIC. He knocks ERIC clear off the bed and onto the floor.)

ERIC - Oh shi... what th...

GUARD - Don't move a damn muscle!

(The other guard jumps on both of them.)

ERIC - Hey! Hey! You got it all wrong!

GUARD - Shut up!

ERIC - But you got it all wrong!

NURSE - Are you okay?

(The nurse helps JESSICA sit up.)

JESSICA cough - Yes... uh... I think so.

(JESSICA is coughing and holding her throat.)

NURSE - What happened?

(JESSICA turns around and looks at the two guards trying to keep ERIC down on the floor.)

JESSICA - I came in here to see my friend... and he just... I mean, we used to date so I guess he thought he could just...

(JESSICA starts to cry.)

ERIC - That is not what happened! Get off me man! She attacked me!

GUARD - Shut up! Sure she did!

(The other guard radios for back up and another guard rushes in. The third guard has hand restraints that he starts to place on ERIC's wrist.)

ERIC - No! No! You're making a big mistake! I didn't touch her! She attacked me!

(The guard doesn't pay ERIC any attention.)

GUARD - I want him cuffed to the bedpost and someone on duty here until the police can get up here. Once he is discharged, he can be taken down to their station and booked.

ERIC - Booked! Wait! I didn't do anything! Jessica tell em! Tell em!

(JESSICA has her back to him and is talking with a second nurse who has come in.)

NURSE - Tell me everything that happened dear. I have a form that I need to fill out for the incident, but you can start to tell me on the way to the nurse's station.

JESSICA - Okay.

(JESSICA is crying as she walks out. She takes one last look back at ERIC who is being handcuffed to the bed. His eyes catch hers as he looks up and she blows him a kiss.)

ERIC - Jessica! Jessica!

(JESSICA walks out with the two nurses and two of the guards.)

ERIC - Jessica don't do this! Jessica!

GUARD - What the hell were you thinking man?

ERIC - Sir, this is not how it looks okay! I didn't do anything! She came in here talking crazy! She even cut my phone line somehow! Go see for yourself! She's crazy!

(The guard doesn't pay any attention to ERIC. He sits down and turns the television on.)

GUARD - Tell it to the police when they get here bruh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAX is in his room working on a homework assignment.

MAX thinks - So after I finish this... I probably need to...

(There is a knock on the door.)

MAX thinks - That's weird. I wasn't expecting any company.

(MAX gets up and opens the door.)

MAX - Uh...

BANE - Wassup.

MAX - What's... up.

(MAX looks at BANE, ROBBIE and LARRY.)

MAX - Uh... come in.

BANE - Don't mind if we do!

(BANE steps past MAX as does ROBBIE. MAX is looking at LARRY for some kind of a response, LARRY just smiles as he walks in.)

BANE - Nice place you got here Max. Real cozy.

MAX - Uh... thanks. Thanks a lot.

LARRY - We didn't catch you at a bad time or anything... did we bruh?

MAX - Oh no.

LARRY - Good. Let me make some introductions. First of all...

(LARRY smiles.)

LARRY - My name is Larry.

(MAX laughs.)

MAX - Ha ha ha ha! Man you are funny!

BANE thinks - Oh I am going to kill this kid!

LARRY - This is my frat brother Robbie.

MAX thinks - Oh shit! An Alpha!

ROBBIE - Wassup Max.

MAX - Nice to meet you.

(They shake hands.)

LARRY - And this is my frat brother Bane.

MAX - Bane, nice to meet you.

(MAX extends his hand toward BANE. BANE doesn't return with his hand. Instead, he sits with his arms folded.)

BANE - So Max...

(MAX is looking confused with his hand being out.)

BANE - ...I heard that you're kind of shady. Is that true?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEAN just picked up his frat brother SAM and they are on their way to Amgis College to check on CENTAUR DWAYNE.

SAM - So what exactly went down?

SEAN - We don't know all the details.

SAIFA - But Sean got a call from Kevin who said that Malcolm hurt Dwayne and that Dwayne was over at Malcolm's house without permission.

SAM - Really?

SAIFA - Yeah.

SAM - Damn.

(silence)

SAM - Well its about time that nigga started pledgin'! Shit!

SAIFA - What?

SAM - I'm sayin' man. We be goin' too easy on these dudes man! That's why I was rough on Sam and good ol' Doctor M here.

(SAM smiles as he slaps DR. MWATSUMI's shoulder.)

SAIFA - That's stupid as hell! We're not into hurting people Sam and I told your ass that last year! That's not what this organization is about!

SAM - Damn Sa, calm down.

SAIFA - No I won't calm down because this shit is pissin' off! I'm tired of this bullshit! What is it gonna take for yall to realize that hurting people is not the call of fraternity life? I don't know who I'm more mad at! You stupid ass niggas or the niggas that pledge that let us do this stuff to them!

DR. MWATSUMI - I agree.

SAIFA - Bruhs, this is serious! We got a serious issue here! How in the world are we gonna handle this if Dwayne is seriously hurt? Huh? What the hell are we gonna do then!

SAM - I mean, we'll handle it. He probably is okay. He's coud be fakin'. You ever think about that?

SAIFA - Faking? Man, Dwayne aint faking! He aint that smart! Look, until we realize that we are all brothers, Black men, then this stupidity is gonnna last forever! Which one of you chapter bros is gonna call Dwayne's mother and tell her that we hurt her son? Which one of you is gonna explain to his father that after all the hard work and money they put toward getting him a good education, he can't continue in school because we, his peers beat him up to call him frat! What kind of shit is that!

(silence)

SAIFA - How many of yall are ready to be convicted felons over this foolishness! They puttin' niggas in jail nowadays over this stupidness!

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Brothers, Saifa is absolutely correct. We can't expect to move forward if we keep ourselves in a mentality of slavery and abuse.

SAM - I just don't think its that deep though. I mean, slavery? Aint nobody trippin' that hard. I'm just saying.

DR. MWATSUMI - But if you can't answer Brother Saifa's questions, then you totally haven't thought that out. And I know you haven't. So you have to be extra careful about how you conduct yourself when it comes to things of that nature. Very careful.

SEAN - Yeah.

DR. MWATSUMI - And that is the key brothers. Like I said, if we cannot answer the brother's questions, then we are not fully ready to accept the responsibility for our actions. And if we can't do that, then what kind of men are we? We have to be ready to accept full blame for the things we do as a brotherhood, good or bad.

SEAN - That's right.

DR. MWATSUMI - We have to own up like men. All throughout history Black men have owned up to their call and responsibilities. Many haven't, but many many have.

SAIFA - That's right. And if we don't answer the damn call bruhs, then we just like any old lazy brothers who aint taking care of their kids. Or aint taking care of their woman. Or their bills. We're supposed to be beyond that damn foolishness! Just pisses me off!

(SEAN turns toward Amgis' campus.)

SEAN - Almost there.

DR. MWATSUMI - Good.

SAM - Look guys, I didn't mean to get everyone all rouled up. I mean damn. I just like for a pledgee to know his stuff. Ya know? Know your history and shit. I don't think cats appreciate it because they don't have to work hard enough to get it.

SEAN - But where do we draw the line to what is working hard and what is unnecessary?

SAM - Hell if I know.

(SEAN pulls toward the campus gate and turns toward MALCOLM's dorm.)

SAIFA - You know where Malcolm lives?

SEAN - Yeah. He lives where most of the athletes stay.

(SEAN drives right there and SAIFA pulls out his cell phone. Everyone steps out of the car.)

SAIFA - I'll call and see where Kevin is as we go up.

SEAN - Cool.

SAM - Yeah, let's hurry up and get up in there.

DR. MWATSUMI - Okay.

(They all start to run toward the building and DR. MWATSUMI pulls SEAN aside.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Sean, listen...

SEAN - Yeah Colin.

DR. MWATSUMI - After you assess the situation and are ready to drive back to Ahpla, give me a call on my cellular phone and I will meet you back right here out front.

SEAN - Huh? You're not coming upstairs with us?

DR. MWATSUMI - I can't.

(DR. MWATSUMI looks around.)

DR. MWATSUMI - I may be the next president of Ahpla University. I can't be associated with a scandal! Instead I will get some coffee and wait for you guys elsewhere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BANE - So Max... I heard that you're kind of shady. Is that true?

MAX - Huh?

BANE - Is it true. Did I stutter Rob?

ROBBIE - Naw man, you were clear. Mad clear.

BANE - I thought so.

(MAX slowly takes his hand back.)

BANE - So are you shady?

MAX - No. Not at all.

(MAX is no longer smiling.)

BANE - You aren't smiling anymore. Fun is over huh?

MAX - Uh... yeah. I guess.

BANE - Hell yeah its over nigga! Aint nothin' funny up in here! You ready to pledge? Huh?

(MAX looks at LARRY who is just smiling. LARRY shrugs.)

BANE - Check this out Maxie, we don't like shady niggas in the hood. Feel me? I really personally hate it. So you gotta prove to me that you are worthy. Cuz right now frankly, I don't think you are. Do you think you're ready?

(MAX answers confidently.)

MAX - Yes! I know I am! I know I am ready!

(ROBBIE laughs.)

ROBBIE - Bruh, you don't even know what you're saying. You really don't.

(ROBBIE gets up and walks into MAX's kitchen.)

BANE - So you think you're ready to take what I got to bring? Huh?

MAX - Yes!

(BANE jumps out of his chair and rushes MAX. Right before he would knock MAX over, he pulls back.)

MAX - Aaaaaaaaah!

(MAX flinches and closes his eyes. LARRY starts to laugh to himself and BANE looks really confused.)

BANE - Oh hell no! What the fuck was that dude? You sound like a little girl! You scared or something?

(MAX opens his eyes. He has drawn his arms up to protect his chest. He lets them down slowly.)

MAX - Just a little... um... nervous.

(BANE looks at LARRY who is smiling.)

BANE - Nervous? Nervous! Is this how you deel with problems in your life? By crying like a bitch and covering up? Nervous? We don't get nervous dude! We handle shit!

(BANE goes to elbow MAX in the chest but instead slams his foot down to create a loud noise. MAX jumps back.)

MAX - Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

BANE - Oh hells to the naw!

(ROBBIE comes back into the room.)

ROBBIE - What the fuck?

(LARRY is laughing out loud now.)

BANE - What's up with your boy Larry?

LARRY - I'm sayin'. He's got a journey to go through. Ya know?

BANE - Well you know what...

(BANE starts to take off his coat.)

BANE - I wasn't gonna make this real physical. I just wanted to talk. But this cat done pissed me off because he is really not ready!

MAX thinks - Oh shit!

BANE - So I think I need to make this real!

ROBBIE - Keep it real B! Keep it real!

BANE - Is that cool wit you sands?

(MAX looks at LARRY.)

LARRY - You know guys...

(LARRY steps up and puts his hand on MAX's shoulder.)

LARRY - I got faith in my boy Larry. I'm gonna run down to the lobby and get a Snickers. Yall want something?

(LARRY smiles. As does BANE.)

BANE - Uh... naw frat! I'm cool, take your time!

(BANE starts to take his watch off.)

LARRY - Cool. Be back in a few.

(MAX looks very worried. LARRY opens the door to leave. He turns back.)

LARRY - Oh and Maxie...

(MAX turns around.)

LARRY - Be strong.

No comments: