Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 26

The Amgis Blue Devils are in the locker room. They are dressed and ready for the big game. COACH GIBBS is addressing the team.

COACH GIBBS - Okay men, listen up.

(Everyone quiets down and listens.)

COACH GIBBS - I don't want to discuss the importance of this game. I don't want you to get caught up in all that. To me its bullshit. You all know the importance and the replications of winning. I want to talk about roles and responsibilities.

(He goes to the chalkboard.)

COACH GIBBS - I've been driving this into your heads all week. On the screen, you have to run around that offensive player and get to that other side. If you move slow on that, they'll pick that up quick! And once they realize we're moving slow on our left side, they're gonna attack us there.

(He starts to draw diagrams as everyone leans forward to look.)

COACH GIBBS - We know what their weaknesses are. We need to attack under the basket and attack their guards early. They don't have strong guards like we do.

BUCK thinks - Yeah, since they lost Derrick.

COACH GIBBS - So we need to exploit that. Attack their one guard from the moment his hands touch the ball. Not a full court press, but don't give him the half court line. Another thing is...

(BUCK looks over at MALCOLM who is paying attention to COACH GIBBS.)

BUCK thinks - Damn, this is some shit! Coach isn't gonna start me, I know it!

COACH GIBBS - ...need fast passing on the perimeter and...

BUCK thinks - This is all June's fault dammit!

COACH GIBBS - ...we'll only have thirteen or fourteen seconds to...

BUCK thinks - No no, that's not right. I can't blame June for this. It's my fault. Nobody is to blame but me.

COACH GIBBS - ...that's your role. Don't try and cover someone else's man. That's not how we play our game. When we do that, we lose. That's not your responsibility. That's my responsibility. If I see that someone is blowing coverage, I'll take him out. Don't worry about playing for two people, yourself and him. Stick to your job and we can win this!

(Everyone starts to clap and get excited.)

BUCK thinks - He's not gonna start me. I'm not even gonna play!

COACH GIBBS - So look! Look! Pay attention to what's going on around you and keep your head in the game! Let's take this championship! We worked too hard for this to turn back now!

TEAM - Yeah!

COACH GIBBS - Let's go out there and win!

TEAM - Yeah!

(Everyone gets up and starts jumping up and down. BUCK is calm however... so is MALCOLM. MALCOLM approaches COACH GIBBS.)

MALCOLM - Coach...

(The coach turns around.)

COACH GIBBS - Yeah?

MALCOLM - You know, I was just wondering. I heard their may be a recruit here. Is that true?

COACH GIBBS - What the hell difference does that make to you?

MALCOLM - I was just wondering.

(MALCOLM smiles. COACH GIBBS doesn't.)

COACH GIBBS - Get your damn head in the damn game Malcolm. Don't get caught up in the hype alright! I need you to focus!

(COACH turns and picks his clip board up.)

COACH GIBBS - Focus! You're my starting point guard today. I hope you're ready.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALVIN steps into GWEN's bathroom after a romantic and intimate moment. He then gets a big surprise.

(CALVIN rolls over and gets out the bed.)

CALVIN - At least you forgave me for tickling you.

(They both laugh as CALVIN walks into the bathroom.)

CALVIN thinks - I hope Gwen doesn't mind me taking a nap. I'm sleepy as a mug.

(CALVIN closes the door to the bathroom. He turns the water on and throws some water on his face.)

CALVIN thinks - Gwen is sexy! Damn!

(CALVIN looks in the mirror and wipes the water off his face. He waits a second, staring at himself. He then looks behind him to make sure the bathroom door is closed. Then he smiles and slowly opens the medicine cabinet.)

CALVIN thinks - What the...

(CALVIN grabs one of the many medicine bottles and reads the label.)

CALVIN thinks - What the fuck!

(CALVIN reads it again. He then picks up another bottle.)

CALVIN thinks - What in the...

(He turns around and looks at the closed door.)

CALVIN thinks - I can't believe...

(silence)

CALVIN - ...I gotta uh... I gotta...

(CALVIN looks back at the bottle and then looks at a third bottle.)

GWEN - Everything alright in there? You didn't fall in did ya?

CALVIN - Uh... no! No! I'm fine, ha ha! I'll uh... be...

(CALVIN starts to put the bottles back.)

CALVIN - ...be right out!

(CALVIN puts them all back very carefully then closes the medicine cabinet. He looks at himself.)

CALVIN thinks - Shit! What am I gonna do!

(CALVIN splashes water on his face quickly, then turns to walk out of the bathroom.)

GWEN - Hey. I started to miss you.

(GWEN smiles.)

CALVIN - Oh... my bad. Ha...uh... yeah.

(silence)

CALVIN - Listen, I need to run.

GWEN - You do?

(GWEN sits up in the bed.)

GWEN - You have somewhere to be?

CALVIN - Yeah... exactly. I just actually remembered.

GWEN - Well... okay.

(CALVIN quickly grabs his stuff and starts to get dressed.)

GWEN - What are you doing later?

CALVIN - Um... we have a chapter meeting. But I can... um... call you after, or something. If it doesn't go too long.

GWEN - Call my cell because I may be at Tia's.

CALVIN - Okay sure.

(silence)

CALVIN - Should I just let myself out now?

GWEN - Um yeah. You might want to put your other sock on though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COACH GIBBS has to talk louder for his team over the noise of the crowd.

COACH GIBBS - Listen up! Pay attention and focus! Roles and responsibilities! Play your part fellas!

(He looks up at the clock.)

COACH GIBBS - Okay we got a change in line up today so listen up! Carter! Wil! Gerald and Malcolm and Scott!

(MALCOLM starts to take his warm up jacket off.)

COACH GIBBS - I know you guys haven't played together but you all know your part! You all know your roles! This is our game! We either make it happen here or dammit we go home! Now look...

(He pulls out his clip board.)

COACH GIBBS - ...on the in and out, make sure you pass cross court so we can...

(BUCK looks up into the loud Amgis crowd. He can't see where the AKAs are sitting. He looks back at the clip board.)

COACH GIBBS - Okay bring it in! Bring it in!

(They huddle up for the team prayer before the introductions.)

BUCK thinks - I can't believe this. This is the biggest game of the year!

CARTER - ...in Jesus name we pray, amen!

TEAM - Amen!

CARTER - BD on three! One! Two! Three!

TEAM - Blue Devils!

(The crowd starts cheering as they see the Blue Devils start to take off their sweats and take the floor for warm ups. BUCK is standing back and clapping for his teammates.)

WIL - Dude, your ankle is still bad?

BUCK - I don't think it's that bad. But Coach doesn't wanna take any chances. Doctor's orders too.

WIL - Damn, bad break man. You know your ass is better than Malcolm.

BUCK - It's all good. All for the team right.

WIL - Yeah right. Whatever.

(WIL jogs onto the floor. BUCK looks into the crowd again.)

ANNOUNCER - Brothers and sisters!

(The crowd starts to cheer as the lights dim and spot lights start to search through the crowd.)

ANNOUNCER - Welcome to the championship game between the Ahpla University Angels...

(The crowd starts to boo.)

ANNOUNCER - And your Amgis Blue Devils!

(The crowd cheers.)

ANNOUNCER - First, the visitors... at guard a six one junior, Stephen Jackson. At forward a six four senior, Jeff King. At forward a six two senior, Tim Williams. At guard a six three freshman Michael Spratt and a six eight senior at center, Tariq Colewell. Head coach Edwards.

(The crowd boos. The Ahpla players don't pay attention. The band begins to play as the announcer begins to introduce the Amgis players.)

ANNOUNCER - And now, give it up for your Amgis home team!

(The crowd starts dancing with the band.)

ANNOUNCER - At guard, a six one junior, Malcolm Morgan!

(The crowd cheers. MALCOLM runs out clapping. He throws the Iota sign.)

ANNOUNCER - At forward, a six four senior, Scott Smith!

JUNE - Gosh! Buck's really not playing!

KATRICE - Maybe they'll put him in in the second half or something.

JUNE - But Buck always starts. This is the first game he hasn't started since his freshman year!

ANNOUNCER - At guard, a six two junior, Carter Gibson! At center...

COACH GIBBS - Buck, do me a favor, keep stats on... Buck? Buck! Dammit where the hell did Buck go!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEN is in his room studying.

KEN reads - ...deformable body mechanics does not treat the body as rigid, it moreso incorporates the deform...

(His phone rings. KEN puts his book down.)

KEN - Hello?

JASON - What's up frat, its Jason.

KEN - Hey J, what's the deal?

JASON - You busy? I need to talk to you.

KEN - It's all good bruh.

(KEN closes his book.)

KEN - What's up?

JASON - Have you spoken to Reggie? Or Bobby?

KEN - Nah. Why?

JASON - How about Candace?

KEN - Not since she's been back from her trip. Why?

JASON - I guess then I'll be the bearer of bad news.

KEN - Bad news? What happened?

JASON - Remember Caryn's boyfriend's ex?

KEN - Derrick's ex? I don't really know her, but I know of her.

JASON - Well you remember that thing about her having a son and we didn't know if it was Bobby's or Derrick's?

KEN - Yeah, I remember that. What happened?

JASON - Well test results are in bruh. And this is some fucked up shit.

KEN - What?

JASON - It's Nino's son.

(silence)

KEN - What?

JASON - The DNA test says it's Nino's.

KEN - Nino's? That's not right! That's impossible!

JASON - That's what I said. I don't want to believe it either but it's a DNA test.

KEN - Wait... how the hell were they able to check Nino's blood? He's dead.

JASON - I don't know man. I'm just tellin' you what they told Candace and Caryn.

KEN - Who is they?

JASON - At the hospital. Whatever doctor was doing the test for Caryn found out somehow. Its conclusive man. Nino has a son.

KEN - I don't believe it! That's crazy and I don't believe it!

JASON - Well believe it or not, its true.

KEN - Shit! Have you spoken to Candace?

JASON - Not yet. I thought I'd call you first.

(silence)

KEN - Shit she's probably devastated!

JASON - Yeah.

(silence)

KEN - Wait a minute! I know Nino! I know he's better than this! This aint his kid man!

JASON - Ken look, I had to face it and...

KEN - No wait a minute! This aint his kid Jason!

JASON - Ken, DNA tests have confirmed that...

KEN - Fuck a DNA test okay! That's some bullshit! Caryn paid somebody off or somethin'! I don't know! But what I do know is this son of hers aint Nino's and I'm gonna get to the bottom of what this shit is about!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALVIN pulls out his cell phone and dials.

SETH - What's the deal playboy?

CALVIN - Hey man, what you up to?

SETH - Chillin' man. Chillin'.

CALVIN - Let me ask you somethin'.

SETH - Sure man, what's up?

(CALVIN pauses.)

CALVIN - If you know something... um, about somebody, and it's um...

(CALVIN pauses.)

CALVIN - ...actually... let me ask you this...

(SETH laughs.)

SETH - Okay.

CALVIN - Um... let's say I know something about somebody...

SETH - Yeah.

CALVIN - ...and it could be... well let's not say harmful per say, but let's say you're not supposed to know...

(CALVIN pauses.)

SETH - Where you goin' with this?

CALVIN - Okay, let me just tell you.

SETH - Okay okay! Get on with it.

(CALVIN pauses.)

CALVIN - You know what man? Never mind never mind. I gotta go.

SETH - Huh? What the fuck is up with you Cal?

CALVIN - Nothin' man, I gotta go.

SETH - Huh?

(click)

(CALVIN stops walking.)

CALVIN thinks - What the hell should I do?

(He pauses.)

CALVIN thinks - I got it!

(He changes direction and starts to walk.)

CALVIN thinks - I hope I can find...

(He starts to hurry. He sees his soror ASHLEY walking across the yard.)

ASHLEY - Hey frat!

CALVIN - Hi Ash, how you?

ASHLEY - Great! How are you?

CALVIN - Good girl.

ASHLEY - What's goin' on?

CALVIN - Nothin' I gotta head over to the library. Kinda in a hurry.

ASLEY - Oh okay cool. Well I'll catch ya latar.

CALVIN - That's cool. See ya.

ASHLEY - Oh wait, there's something I need to talk to you about when you get some time. I can call you?

CALVIN - Yeah, just hit me up.

ASHLEY - Okay. See ya.

CALVIN - Bye.

(He hurries on and gets to the library.)

CALVIN thinks - Now, where should I... oh yeah.

(He walks to the computers and does a search for the type of medicine he saw in GWEN's cabinet.)

CALVIN - Uh.. hmmmm.

(He sees some books that are located in the library and are not checked out.)

CALVIN thinks - Okay, here we go. Um, downstairs in the medical wing, in aisle five. Cool, now let's get to the bottom of this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEN became so upset that he hung up on JASON.

KEN - Got dammit!

(He looks at the phone that he just slammed down and rubs his hands in his hair.)

KEN - Shit! Shit! Shit!

(He picks the phone back up.)

KEN - Candace this is Ken. I need to talk to you! I just heard what happened and I think this is some bullshit and I think we really need to get to the bottom of this shit!

CANDACE - Thank you but I need to call you back Ken. Derrick just called and he's out of state. I promise to call you back though.

KEN - Okay please do because we need to talk about this!

CANDACE - Okay.

KEN - Stay strong.

(KEN hangs up.)

KEN - Dammit!

(silence)

(He dials again.)

REGGIE - What's up bruh.

KEN - Yo Reg! This is the first time I'm hearing about Nino's baby! What the hell?

REGGIE - Dude, we're like all in shock. Sorry bout that.

KEN - Don't sweat it but this shit can't be true. I know Nino better than that, so do you.

REGGIE - Its a DNA test man. It's like ninety nine point nine nine percent. Facts don't lie.

KEN - I don't care! I still don't believe it!

REGGIE - I was thinking just like you are now. This whole thing is hard to swallow.

KEN - It aint hard to swallow, it's not true.

REGGIE - Ken, you're in denial.

KEN - Think about it man. This is Nino we're talkin' about! For God sake!

REGGIE - I know.

(silence)

KEN - Well what are you gonna do?

REGGIE - What do you mean what am I gonna do?

KEN - We gotta get to the bottom of this shit.

REGGIE - The bottom of what Ken?

KEN - This aint his kid so we gotta find out who's kid it is.

REGGIE - Ken... God man face it. I know it aint in Nino's nature, but it seems that he cheated on Candace and got a girl pregnant. It does happen.

(silence)

KEN - Okay man. Let me holla at you later.

REGGIE - Cool bro. You gonna be alright?

KEN - Yeah. I'll be fine.

REGGIE - Aight bro. Oh six.

KEN - Oh six.

(They hang up and KEN immediately grabs his jacket and goes out the door.)

KEN thinks - Fuck this shit!

(He heads for the elevator. He pushes the buton and waits.)

(silence)

(The elevator door opens and BANE steps out. KEN gets on and almost knocks him over.)

BANE - Hey frat, what's the hurry man? Shit! Where you goin'?

KEN - I'll explain later. I gotta go see this girl that goes to Ahpla!

No comments: