Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 28

AHMAD and SETH are at the Amgis Ahpla basketball game. They're sitting in the Sigma / Zeta section.

AHMAD - Man what the fuck! We were up by fourteen points and now we're down by six!

SETH - Aint this some shit!

AHMAD - Why is that nigga Malcolm takin' those stupid ass shots! They need to call time out or something! Damn!

SETH - Man I got a lot of money on this shit! I got a lot ridin' on this game!

AHMAD - You bet on the game?

SETH - Hell yeah I bet on the game! I bet Brandon's shit talkin' ass! He said Ahpla was gonna kick our ass!

AHMAD - Well it looks like he knew what the hell he was talkin' about!

SETH - How was I supposed to know Buck wasn't gonna play?

(AHMAD laughs.)

AHMAD - How much you bout to lose?

SETH - Twenty bucks! Can you believe that shit?

AHMAD - That's all? You cryin' about twenty dollars?

SETH - I'm a broke college student! Plus Brandon is gonna brag for the rest of the semester!

AHMAD - That's true! Oh shit!

SETH - What! What!

AHMAD - Did you see that dunk? Damn!

(AHMAD looks up at the scoreboard.)

AHMAD - Man, we're losing by eight points! Shit!

(The Amgis team takes a time out. SETH stands up and yells at the team.)

SETH - It's about time yall took a time out! Sit Malcolm's monkey ass down! Shit!

(SETH sits down as the crowd is booing. The Ahpla players are slapping high fives with each other as they approach their bench.)

AHMAD - This is some bullshit!

SETH - Yeah!

(AHMAD watches the Deltas walk by and out of the arena during the time out.)

AHMAD - Hey hey! There's Tia. What's up with yall?

SETH - Aw man, I kicked her ass to the curb dude.

AHMAD - You did? Why?

SETH - She's clingy man. I could tell from that one date. She was all up under a nigga. I was like chill baby, chill.

(AHMAD laughs.)

AHMAD - Damn, she didn't seem that way.

SETH - They never do.

AHMAD - Yeah. Man where's the defense! Where's the defense!

(AHMAD yells toward the Amgis players. He then turns back to SETH.)

AHMAD - And where the hell are the sorors at? I thought you told them we had seats for them.

SETH - I told Kim. I don't know where they are.

AHMAD - And where's Calvin?

SETH - I don't know. Let me call him. I spoke to him earlier and he was talkin' crazy.

AHMAD - Hurry up, action is bout to start.

SETH - Aight.

(SETH pulls out his cell phone and dials.)

CALVIN thinks - Shit! Who's callin' me now?

(CALVIN looks at his cell phone display.)

CALVIN thinks - Seth. I'm gonna have to call him back. Too busy right now!

(CALVIN looks back at the computer screen.)

CALVIN types - Azathioprine Imuran...

(SEARCH)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FRANK is in the Que House with CLARENCE and KENNY. They are getting the house ready for the after party following the Amgis / Ahpla basketball game.

FRANK - I can't believe you're not gonna be here man. How you gonna skip out on the party?

CLARENCE - Yall bruhs do what yall gotta do. I know yall will represent. I got some things to handle and some applications to turn in by Monday.

FRANK - Okay man. I'll have to break the news to the ladies then. They're gonna be heartbroken!

KENNY - Yeah right dog! Ha ha ha ha!

(They all laugh.)

CLARENCE - Anyway! How long are yall gonna be usin' the place?

FRANK- I don't know, probably the usual. Two or three in the mornin'.

KENNY - Or until the hos get tired and leave!

CLARENCE - Let's make it two.

FRANK - Let's make it two thirty.

CLARENCE - Okay two thirty but start gettin' people out at two. I'll be back at three and I don't want anyone here.

KENNY - Why don't you just stay out then. That way you won't have to worry about it and by the time you get back in the morning, the coast will be all clear.

CLARENCE - I'll be here at three.

KENNY - Okay okay. Damn.

CLARENCE - Do I need to go over the rules?

FRANK - Naw dog. We straight.

CLARENCE - Rule number one...

KENNY thinks - Damn.

CLARENCE - ...no bonin' in my room. There are plenty of rooms in the house, I don't know why yall always gotta choose my room.

KENNY - Your bed has the most bounce. Your springs are like unused since you aint gettin' none.

(They all laugh.)

CLARENCE - Your mother aint got a problem with my springs! Number two, if a girl gets drunk, do not let her sleep here in the house. Bitches make up all kinds of stories when they wake up in strange places. Make sure she gets home, even if you gotta take her.

FRANK - Got it.

CLARENCE - And no interested niggas.

KENNY - What? Aw come on man.

CLARENCE - No. We got time for that. We're about to get our line started but I don't want shit fucked up like last time. When its time for Lamps, we'll handle our business but I don't want them niggas here tonight. Understood?

KENNY - Yeah man we got it.

FRANK - It's good dog.

CLARENCE - Cool. Yall have a good party and try not to tear the house up.

KENNY - Yeah, we won't.

CLARENCE thinks - Yeah right. You got my cell. I'm out.

KENNY - Be out bruh.

FRANK - Later dog.

(CLARENCE grabs his books and papers and stuffs them in his bag. He grabs his jacket and leaves.)

KENNY - No wonder they call that nigga Watchdog.

FRANK - Yeah. I know.

KENNY - But its cool. At least we got the house til two thirty.

FRANK - Yeah dog! Did you call the Ahpla bruhs?

KENNY - Yep!

(KENNY picks the phone up.)

KENNY - And now I got one more call to make!

(silence)

MARCUS - Hello?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(CALVIN looks back at the computer screen.)

CALVIN types - Azathioprine Imuran...

(SEARCH)

CALVIN reads - Azathioprine Imuran - Classified as a cytotocix. Cytotoxics are very strong drugs and usually only used to treat lupus...

CALVIN thinks - Lupus?

(CALVIN continues to read.)

CALVIN reads - ...when absolutely necessary. They are used on patients who have major organ involvement, severe muscle inflammation, or intractable arthritis.

CALVIN thinks - Lupus?

(silence)

(CALVIN types again.)

CALVIN tupes - Lupus.

(SEARCH)

CALVIN reads - Lupus is an autoimmune disease that can affect virtually any system in the body. Think of it as a self-allergy where the body attacks its own cells and tissues, causing inflammation, pain, and possible organ damage.

CALVIN thinks - Damn!

(CALVIN continues to read.)

CALVIN reads - Lupus is a chronic (long-lasting) autoimmune disease where the immune system, for unknown reasons, becomes hyperactive and attacks normal tissue. This attack results in inflammation and brings about symptoms.

CALVIN thinks - Symptoms huh?

CALVIN reads - The symptoms can include arthritis (swelling and pain of the joints), muscle pain and weakness, fatigue, sun-sensitivity, hair loss, rash across the nose and cheeks, fever, anaemia, headaches, recurrent miscarriages.

CALVIN thinks - Gosh!

(CALVIN looks up from the computer and thinks about GWEN.)

CALVIN - She's dealin' with all this? Rashes? Hair loss?

(silence)

CALVIN thinks - How did she...

(CALVIN does another search. He reads more.)

CALVIN reads - Lupus occurs more often in certain ethnic groups. The incidence in Caucasians is approximately one in one thousand. In African-Americans, the incidence is approximately one in two hundred and fifty often times younger women.

CALVIN - Damn.

CALVIN thinks - Did her mother have it or something? I wonder if she's in pain all the time or something? Damn... how can I help?

(He turns the computer off but sits there for a minute.)

CALVIN thinks - Lupus. I never even really heard of it.

(He grabs his bag and starts to leave the library.)

CALVIN thinks - Damn. Lupus.

(He quietly walks out. He pulls his cell phone out.)

SETH - Hello!

CALVIN - Wassup sands. You called me?

SETH - Yeah dude, where you at? We got a section at the game for frat and sorors.

CALVIN - Oh yall do?

SETH - Yeah! You comin' through?

CALVIN - Uh yeah. Sure. I'm leaving the library now so I'll be there in a hot second.

SETH - Hurry up, it's almost half time!

CALVIN - Okay Blue, be there in five minutes.

SETH - Aight!

(They hang up.)

CALVIN thinks - I could use something else on my mind right now. I don't wanna be worried about Gwen.

(He hurries and gets to the gym. He goes inside and begins to look for his frat brothers.)

CALVIN thinks - Where the heck they at? I don't know why I expected to see some blue and white baloons or something! Ha ha ha!

(He starts to walk around the gym, looking into the audience for his frat and sorors. He hears the crowd scream and boo and he turns his attention to the game. Someone from Ahpla just hit a three point shot and now they're winning by seventeen points.)

CALVIN thinks - Damn!

GWEN - Calvin!

(He turns around and sees GWEN, TIA and CAMILLE. He waves as GWEN gets up to give him a hug.)

GWEN - Hey! I didn't know you were coming to the game!

(GWEN is smiling as she hugs CALVIN.)

CALVIN - Uh... I wasn't going to at first. But uh... I just needed to uh... to get out and get some... air ya know.

GWEN - Is something wrong?

(silence)

(CALVIN stares at GWEN.)

CALVIN - Its kinda loud here. Can we sneak off somewhere and talk? There's something I need to ask you about.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ladies of Zeta Phi Beta are on their way to the big basketball game when they encounter a lady of Sigma Gamma Rho on the shuttle bus. They begin arguing over the name Sigma.

ANDY - I don't need a fraternity okay? I don't need some dudes to validate me! My sorority stands alone and we don't have to be a fraternal sorority like yall! You want some brothers to make you what you are, fine! I don't need all that!

LEAH - Yo hold up hold up hold up...

ANDY - No you hold u...

LEAH - No you hold up! You keep disrespecting my sisterhood and I'm gonna...

(silence)

(LEAH notices someone outside as the bus as it pulls up on campus.)

LEAH - Hey... where the hell is Buck going?

ASHLEY - Buck? Where?

(They all look out the window.)

LEAH - Right there! Where's he going? The gym is that way?

KIM - I don't know. The game can't be over already.

(LEAH runs to the front of the bus.)

LEAH - We're not finished Andy!

ANDY thinks - Whatever!

LEAH - Driver, let me off here.

DRIVER - I can't stop here. This isn't the shuttle stop.

LEAH - This is an emergency! Come on man!

(The driver reluctantly lets LEAH off.)

LEAH - Yall go ahead to the gym! I'll catch up with yall in a few!

KIM - Okay!

(LEAH turns in the direction she saw BUCK walking in. She starts to run behind him.)

LEAH - Buck! Buck wait up!

(BUCK hears his name and turns around.)

LEAH - Hey! Where ya goin'? Why aren't you on the court?

BUCK - I can't play. I'm injured.

LEAH - Injured? What happened?

BUCK - I sprained my ankle at the big fight. I can't play.

LAEH - Are you serious! Damn! I'm sorry.

BUCK - It isn't your fault. No need for you to apologize.

LEAH - You know what I mean. Were you fightin' with the Kappas and the Alphas?

BUCK - Hell no. You know I don't get down like that. I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Long story.

LEAH - Oh. Well what are you doin' out here? Where you going?

BUCK - I needed to get out. Get some air. Think or something.

LEAH - Is the game over?

BUCK - Naw, it's not even half time yet.

LEAH - Shouldn't you be on the sideline with your team?

BUCK - I can't. I don't know what that's like. I've started every game I've ever played in since junior high. And I ran most of them to completion. And this game here is the pinnacle of my short career and I can't even play in it. And I can't do anything about it. I can't sit there and not get in.

LEAH - Coach Gibbs let you leave?

BUCK - Coach aint thinkin' bout me. He doesn't even know I'm missin'.

LEAH - You just walked out the gym in your warm up suit?

BUCK - Yeah.

(silence)

LEAH - Buck, that's the most selfish shit I've ever heard in my life!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARCUS - Hello?

KENNY - This is Kenny.

MARCUS thinks - Oh shit!

KENNY - What you doin' man?

MARCUS - Um... nothin'. I mean, reading.

KENNY - Uh huh.

(silence)

KENNY - You aint at the game are you? You aint chillin' are you?

MARCUS - Oh no! No, I was reading.

KENNY - Cool cool. So um... you got plans for later on tonight?

MARCUS thinks- Shit!

MARCUS - Uh no.

KENNY - Good. We're havin' a little... get together over at the frat house after the game. You know, to celebrate Buck's win.

MARCUS - Oh yeah?

KENNY - Yeah. We'd love for you and uh... Rashim to come on through.

MARCUS - Sure! Sounds good.

MARCUS thinks - Shit! Damn! Shit!

KENNY - Let's say you get here about... uh... now... and leave about one. That work?

MARCUS - Sure thing. I'll be right there and I'll call Rashim as well.

KENNY - Good.

MARCUS - So I'll see ya in a few.

KENNY - Cool... oh and Marcus...

MARCUS - Yes?

KENNY - Grab some Pine Sol before ya get here. The bathrooms here are atrocious!

(KENNY smiles.)

MARCUS - Sure Kenny, no problem at all.

KENNY - See ya in fifteen minutes.

(They hang up. KENNY starts to laugh out loud as he puts the phone down. He turns around and FRANK is staring at him.)

(silence)

KENNY - What?

FRANK - What did Clarence just say?

KENNY - Come on man, what's the harm? We get em in, we get em out. We get our bathrooms cleaned.

FRANK - If Clarence finds out, its your ass. Not mine!

KENNY - Whatever dog. It'll be cool. A lot of people will probably be here so they'll blend right in with the crowd. We can have em servin' drinks or cleanin' up after niggas. Ya know.

FRANK - Yeah, I know the routine. I also know how Clarence gets when he gets pissed. I don't think you do.

KENNY - It don't matter if I do cuz Clarence aint gonna find out.

FRANK - Like I said, I wash my hands of it. This is your little project and I hope nothing goes wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEAH - You just walked out the gym in your warm up suit?

BUCK - Yeah.

(silence)

LEAH - Buck, that's the most selfish shit I've ever heard in my life!

BUCK - What!

LEAH - So I guess you figure if you can't play, you'll pack up all your toys and go inside. Is that it?

BUCK - You don't know what the hell you're talkin' about!

LEAH - Yes I do! If you can't have it your way then you won't have it any way! What kind of a team player are you? Why do you always want the entire team to lean on you and the day you need someone to hold you up, you won't even take it?

BUCK - Its much more than that! Malcolm has been talkin' shit to me ever since this went down! Not only did he start tonight, but their's an NBA recruit there!

LEAH - So why aren't you happy for Malcom instead of crying in your own beer?

(BUCK just looks at LEAH.)

BUCK - You don't understand me. You never understood me.

(BUCK turns to walk away.)

LEAH - No hold up! Don't walk away from me! I understand you all too well and that's what burns you up! You know I understand you and I tell you like it is instead of sugar coating it! But since I don't baby you like...

(She pauses on purpose.)

LEAH - ...like other people...

(He stops and turns back around.)

BUCK - What's that supposed to mean?

LEAH - Oh come on Buck! You know exactly what it means and you know what I'm sayin'! June tells you exactly what you want to hear all the time! Nevermind what you need to hear! Nevermind when you need a foot in your ass! Like right now! Nevermind when you need to be told you're not perfect and you do have some flaws!

BUCK - And you know what, you always take something little and make a mountain out of it. Shit Leah, that's why I hate tellin' you shit! You analyze every damn thing and make shit deeper than it already is!

LEAH - That shit was selfish Buck! Don't try and turn this around and put anything on me. I've seen plenty of hurt players. Especially NBA players. They sit on the side. They cheer their teammates on. They take down stats. Whatever. Its called being a leader Buck. Leadership!

BUCK - Whatever Leah. I gotta go.

(He turns and walks away again.)

LEAH - See, that's what I mean. Instead of facing what you did and hearing it from me, you're leaving. Running from it!

BUCK - Whatever Leah!

(She begins to yell as he walks away from her.)

LEAH - You know I'm right! This is selfish and wrong Buck and you know it! I'm not gonna baby you Buck! I'm not gonna tell you what you wanna hear!

BUCK - You can't tell me what I wanna hear!

(He turns back to face her but continues walking away.)

BUCK - Because you have no clue what I want! So how could you tell me? You don't understand me, you never have understood me and you never will!

(BUCK walks away.)

BUCK thinks - Like I really got time for this bull! That's why I need someone who understands me. Understands what makes me tick. The last thing I need is someone who can't support me emotionally. Not now.

(BUCK walks to the gates of the campus and keeps on walking.)

BUCK thinks - Its amazing how she can't understand why we broke up. Like I need that naggin' all the time.

(He gets to the corner and waits for the light to change, then crosses the street.)

BUCK thinks - Even if I were to see her point, just the way she presented it turns me off. Why can't people see that you attract more bees with honey then with vinegar. She gets off the bus yelling at me, like that's supposed to make me see her side of things. I'm hurt dammit! What about that?

(BUCK looks up as he passes the hospital. He keeps on going.)

BUCK thinks - Right now, all I wanna do is sit down and sort all this out. I need somebody to listen. Listen! Not talk down to me, but listen.

(He enters the apartment complex and goes to the third floor.)

BUCK thinks - Just peace and quiet and a good ear.

(BUCK knocks on the door.)

(silence)

(silence)

(BUCK knocks again.)

(silence)

(The door opens.)

BUCK - Hi.

GINGER - Hey Buck, come on in! I'm so sorry about what happened... come in come in!

No comments: