Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 49

ERIC is meeting one last time with his attorney over the case that JESSICA has against him.

MR. NELSON - We just want to make sure you are fully ready for all angles. I have all my bases covered.

ERIC - Good.

MR. NELSON - You will be called, definitely. But that's okay. Just be calm and tell the truth. Your story doesn't have any holes in it. What we want to do is first of all be convincing. And you don't necessarily want to paint a picture of that day and what happened. Because if you do that, it places someone in the room and they won't see it the way that it actually happened.

ERIC - Oh no?

MR. NELSON - No. See, if you told me what happened, right off the back I wouldn't believe you. All the physical signs say that you are lying. You're stonger than Jessica. You can overpower her. You had her overpowered when you were placed into custody. So to believe that she was harassing you is a little hard to believe.

ERIC - Okay.

MR. NELSON - But, if you go into your personality. Your relationship with her. How at times it was volatile. If they can feel you for who you are. Your grades. The frat affiliation. The good things that you are about and that you do. See, that is what makes this better for you.

ERIC - Oh, I get it.

MR. NELSON - Eric, I know that you didn't do this. I see young guys get caught up all the time. An its a shame but society doesn't always place the blame where it should be placed and we write off brothers before they even open their mouth in defense.

ERIC - Yeah. I see.

MR. NELSON - Oh you have no idea. Let me tell you. I deal with young brothers all the time. Most of the time they come in with some petty charge on them. But before they even get to defend or give their version, its like guilty! They come in with their pants hanging down or a stocking cap under a baseball cap and its guilty!

ERIC - Really?

MR. NELSON - Let me tell you. Its guilty until proven innocent in this country. And that's the unfortunate truth.

ERIC - Yeah.

MR. NELSON - But nevemind, that, back to you. So anyway, you give them you. If you're asked a question, there's nothing wrong with giving a long answer. I mean, talk for days if you have to. There is no time limit to an answer. If anything, the opposing attorneys may ask you to be more direct in your answers. But that would be a good thing. That would show that you're frustrating them in their line of questionning.

ERIC - Okay.

MR. NELSON - So that would be good.

ERIC - Sometimes I see people on tv or whatever writing things. Like the defendants writing things down. Should I do that?

MR. NELSON - Oh no! Most of the time, that is a person who is bored. It doesn't favor well with a jury. They just doodle or write stuff that can be used as evidence. One client of mine was writing, I'm gonna kill this bitch over and over. I didn't even notice until we took a recess. What a dumb move that was!

ERIC - Yeah, I can imagine.

MR. NELSON - But what I want you most to do is to calm down. Like, I spoke to your mom extensively and she described you to a t. She told me all about you from your very young days until now. I feel like I've known you for years. But the person that sits in front of me now aint the person that she described at all.

ERIC - Really?

MR. NELSON - You give me a lot of one or two word answers. Whereas your mother tells me how talkative you are. You don't look me in the face at times. You turn away. See, these are all things a jury looks at and a prosecuting attorney eats up.

(ERIC places his face into both his hands.)

ERIC - I'm sorry. This is just so unbelievably hard man. You can't possibly imagine.

(MR. NELSON takes his glasses off and puts them on his desk. He rubs his face and looks back at ERIC.)

MR. NELSON - Son, let me tell you. This is a lot more my story than you think.

(He takes a breath and continues.)

MR. NELSON - The reason I went into law is because I was facing time. The reason I defend these young brothers is because I too was out there and doing this and that. And when I got caught up, a mentor came to me to help me out. If it wasn't for that guy, I would've gotten locked up. Twenty five years.

ERIC - Damn!

MR. NELSON - Instead, I went to college and on to law school. Believe it or not, I am a ghetto success story. So brothers like you... I feel you man. I do.

ERIC - Thank you.

(silence)

(MR. NELSON gets up from behind his desk and walks around to ERIC. He places his hand on ERIC's shoulder.)

MR. NELSON - Look man. We're in this together okay? We're gonna work hard at this and be relentless. But the truth will come out and this nightmare will be all over okay?

ERIC - Thank you sir.

MR. NELSON - Young brother... no problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIG BROTHER Oh Fuck (BANE) has just caught the Alpha pledgees, FRANK and MARTIN while they're on their assignment.

FRANK - I almost hit somebody! There's somebody behind the car!

MARTIN - What!

(FRANK and MARTIN turn around and see someone behind the car, who is almost hit and who slams both his fists down on the trunk.)

MARTIN - Oh shit! Did you hit him?

FRANK - No! I don't think so!

(The person walks around to the driver side and bangs on the window. FRANK rolls it down.)

BANE - Get the hell out the car Sphinxmen!

(BANE opens the driver's door and slams his fist against FRANK's chest and starts to pull him out.)

BANE - My name is Big Brother Oh Fuck! Because whenever I see a Sphinxman they say oh fuck! I'm your worse nightmare and you're mine for the rest of the got damn night!

(BANE starts to pull FRANK out of the car.)

FRANK - Hey!

MARTIN - Oh shit!

(FRANK barely puts the car in park and is dragged out. MARTIN gets out of his side and runs around the car.)

BANE - Ha ha ha ha ha! Its on now dammit! Its on now! Greet me!

FRANK - Uh! Gree...! eertingngs! Ah!

BANE - You! Get back in the damn car!

(BANE points at MARTIN who stops in his tracks.)

BANE - Get in the damn car and follow my car!

(BANE slaps FRANK in the back of the head and starts to drag him toward his car.)

BANE - Follow me and this idiot! He's riding with me! Do you understand?

MARTIN - Yes Big Brother Oh Fuck!

BANE - Come on you!

FRANK - Wait! Wait! No!

(BANE slams FRANK in the chest as he pulls on him toward his car.)

MARTIN thinks - What the hell should I do? Got damn!

(MARTIN watches as BANE pulls FRANK away, hitting him all along.)

MARTIN thinks - What do I do?

(MARTIN looks around and there is no one in sight. He looks at his watch and realizes that they have four minutes to get back to Dean Hazin' Jazin' with the list that they were instructed to get.)

MARTIN - Shit!

(He jumps in the driver's side of the car and looks back for BANE. BANE gets into his own car and makes FRANK drive.)

MARTIN thinks - Oh God! What are we gonna...

(MARTIN starts to back his car up and follow FRANK.)

MARTIN - We're gonna get killed!

(MARTIN starts to follow and he sees BANE slap FRANK in the back of the head again.)

MARTIN - This guy is gonna kill us! I knew his ass seemed crazy!

(They hit the highway and start to head back toward campus. BANE's car is swaying in and out of the lane as BANE hazes FRANK.)

MARTIN - Shit! Shit!

(MARTIN reaches into the glove compartment and sees his sister's cell phone which she left for him. He dials quickly.)

JASON - Hello...

(silence)

(MARTIN has the phone to his ear but cannot think of what to say.)

JASON - Hello hello!

(MARTIN hangs up.)

MARTIN thinks - Shit!

(MARTIN dials again.)

MARTIN - Come on! Come on answer!

MAX - Hello?

MARTIN - Max this is Martin! I need your help man!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JESSICA is meeting one last time with her attorney over the case that she has against ERIC.

VAL EDWARDS - We just want to make sure you are fully ready for all angles. I have all my bases covered.

JESSICA - Good.

VAL EDWARDS -You will be called, definitely. But that's okay. Just be calm and tell the truth. Your story doesn't have any holes in it. What we want to do is first of all be convincing. And you need to paint a picture of that day and what happened. You want to place someone in the room so that they can see it the way that it actually happened.

JESSICA - Okay.

VAL EDWARDS - See, if you told me what happened, right off the back I would believe you. Right away. All the physical signs say that he is lying. He's stonger than you. You can't overpower him. Eric had you overpowered when he was placed into custody. So to believe that you were harassing him is a little hard to believe.

JESSICA - I know! Damn liar.

VAL EDWARDS - But, if you go into your personality. Your relationship with him. How loving it was. If they can feel you for who you are. The good things that you are about and that you do. See, that is what makes this better for you.

JESSICA - Oh, I get it.

VAL EDWARDS - Jess, I see young girls get caught up all the time. An its a shame but society doesn't always place the blame where it should be placed and we write off the victims before they even open their mouths to speak.

JESSICA - Yeah. I see.

VAL EDWARDS - Oh you have no idea. Let me tell you. I deal with young sisters all the time. Most of the time they come in with some case against a young man. But before they even get to defend or give their version, its like not guilty! They say that she had on a short dress or she stayed over night in his room. Or they say that she was a tease, or she never said no. Or she didn't mean stop.

JESSICA - Really?

VAL EDWARDS - Let me tell you. Its guilty until you prove that you've been victimized in this country. And that's the unfortunate truth.

JESSICA - Yeah.

VAL EDWARDS -But nevemind, that, back to you and your case. So anyway, you give them you. If you're asked a question, there's nothing wrong with giving a long answer. I mean, talk for days if you have to. There is no time limit to an answer. If anything, the opposing attorneys may ask you to be more direct in your answers. But that would be a good thing. That would show that you're frustrating them in their line of questionning.

JESSICA - Okay.

VAL EDWARDS - So that would be good.

JESSICA - Sometimes I see people on tv or whatever writing things. Like the defendants writing things down. Should I do that?

VAL EDWARDS - Yes! You can take notes. It would show that you are interested and serious about the case. Look like you are interested and concerned and it can show through the response of other people, like jury members.

JESSICA - Yeah, I can imagine.

VAL EDWARDS - But what I want you most to do is to calm down. It seems like you are real edgy about this. Just take it easy.

JESSICA - Really?

VAL EDWARDS - You do talk a lot but you seem nervous. You don't have to be nervous.

(JESSICA places her face into both her hands.)

JESSICA - I'm sorry. This is just so unbelievably hard. You can't possibly imagine.

(VALERIE takes her glasses off and puts them on her desk. She rubs her face and looks back at JESSICA.)

VAL EDWARDS - Let me tell you. This is a lot more my story than you think.

(She takes a breath and continues.)

VAL EDWARDS - The reason I went into law is because I someone tried to assault me. I fought back as hard as I could.

JESSICA - Damn!

VAL EDWARDS - He didn't rape me but everyone blamed me. Including my father. He went to his grave thinking that I probably did something wrong to make that boy touch me that way. I swore with all that was in me that that would never happen to any other young woman, if I could help it.

JESSICA - Wow!

VAL EDWARDS - So I went to college and on to law school. Believe it or not, I am an assault story survivor. So sisters like you... I understand. I really do.

JESSICA - Thank you.

(silence)

(VALERIE gets up from behind her desk and walks around to JESSICA. She places her hand on JESSICA's shoulder.)

VAL EDWARDS - We're in this together okay? We're gonna work hard at this and be relentless. But the truth will come out and this nightmare will be all over okay?

JESSICA - Thank you Mrs. Edwards.

VAL EDWARDS - - Young sister... no problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK is with some of his frat brothers of Omega Psi Phi. They are getting stuff in order for BUCK's birthday party.

BUCK - Yall done made this a much bigger deal then it started.

KENNY - Because man. This is your last year here and its your birthday! We need to celebrate that bruh.

RONNIE - No doubt!

(BUCK laughs.)

BUCK - Whatever yall say.

RONNIE - What's the deal on the spread? Where you gettin' food from?

BUCK - Man, to be honest, I just wanted to have a few friends over, some drinks and chill. Yall done made this a major production and the whole world is coming! The basketball team, the bruhs from Ahpla, the sorors from here, the sorors from Ahpla! Man everybody gonna be up in this joint!

KENNY - Good!

BUCK - Renee and her sorors! She got me having it somewhere else! I was gonna have it here.

RONNIE - I agree with Kenny. If you gonna do that shit, do it right.

TY - Yep!

BUCK - Well whatever.

RONNIE - So you got enough food for all those peeps?

BUCK - I let go of handling this party two weeks ago. You gotta ask Ginger about that shit.

RONNIE - Oh yeah?

BUCK - Yeah. She on this big party tip too.

RONNIE - Call her up so we can find out.

BUCK - Okay. Where's my phone?

TY - Is this it right here?

BUCK - Yeah. Go ahead and dial her dog. Her number is in there.

TY - Bruh.

(TY looks through the phone book until he sees the name GINGER. He calls.)

GINGER - Hey babe.

TY - Hi Ginger, this is Ty.

GINGER - Who?

TY - On of Buck's frat. From Ahpla.

GINGER - Oh, hi how you doin'?

TY - I'm cool, how are you?

GINGER - Good.

TY - We just wanted to know about the food for the party and if you needed any help with anything.

GINGER - Oh, aren't you sweet. I was just making some calls for the party just now as a matter of fact. The food is pretty much handled. I did the lasagna myself and my sister did something too. But we catered some things as well.

TY - Oh wow, that's cool.

GINGER - Yeah. If you guys wanna help and pick up some drinks, that would be fine.

TY - Okay, we can do that.

GINGER - Good, I can scratch that off my list then.

TY- Alright, no problem.

GINGER - Thanks. Is Buck there?

TY - Yeah, hold on.

(TY hands the phone to BUCK as he speaks to RONNIE.)

TY - Dog, she got the food handled. She on it.

RONNIE - I hear it.

BUCK - Hey.

GINGER - Hi hon. I had a little surprise for you for the party but now I gotta let the cat out the bag.

BUCK - What you mean?

GINGER - Well, I was trying to order you a cake with something special on it and I think I messed up. Luckily I was able to ask Renee and I think I can fix it, but just in case, I want to let you know.

BUCK - What are you talking about?

GINGER - I got you a big cake and I wanted to decorate it with basketballs and stuff but then when me and my sister went to the cake place, they had so many nice designs, I thought it would be better to do it for your fraternity.

BUCK - Okay...

(BUCK laughs.)

GINGER - So I ordered it but I didn't know your frat information. Like your names or whatever you guys have.

BUCK - Gin, what did you do?

(GINGER pauses.)

GINGER - Well I ordered the cake and Renee told me later of my mistake. I called the cake place so they can fix it and they said they could try to change it but they couldn't guarantee that they could have it corrected in time. So just in case its wrong, I just wanted to let you know in advance.

BUCK - What did you do?

(silence)

GINGER - I did the colors in black and gold instead of purple and gold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAX - Martin? What's wrong?

MARTIN - Dude, this big brother from Amgis just came and kidnapped Frank!

MAX - What?

MARTIN - We're already gonna get killed by our big brothers for being late but I gotta get Frank away from this guy!

MAX - Wait... what?

MARTIN - I need your help man! You gotta help me get Frank back!

MAX - I can't help you with that man... I'm not going the Alpha way anymore. Remember?

MARTIN - I know! Nevermind that! I... we need your help Max! Please!

(silence)

MAX - Okay okay! What do you want me to do! This is only because its you asking Martin! I want you to know that!

MARTIN - Thank you man! Thank you! This is what I want you to do. Get your car quick and come out to...

FRANK thinks - Oh my gosh! Is he drunk or something?

(BANE is yelling at FRANK with each turn that he makes.)

BANE - Stop driving so damn reckless!

FRANK thinks - Reckless?

FRANK - My apologies big brother!

BANE - Oh you aint half as sorry as you bout to be! You got that?

(BANE's cell phone rings.)

BANE - Hello!

KEN - Wassup man, what you up to?

BANE - Bruh! I got the Sphinxman!

KEN - You what?

BANE - I got the dudes from AU! Bros said we could borrow them for the night!

KEN thinks - What?

KEN - Borrow them for the night? What are you talkin' about?

BANE - Yeah man, their dean...

(He places the phone down into his lap so KEN cannot hear.)

BANE - Hey pledgee, who is your dean?

FRANK - Dean Hazin' Jazin'.

(BANE picks the phone back up.)

BANE - Yeah, Jason told me it was okay.

KEN - Wait a minute, Jason told you that it was okay to take their boys for a night? Are the bros with you too?

BANE - Naw, just me and them. Jason trusts me.

KEN - What! Man please! You lying! I know you lying now!

BANE - Oh yeah? Listen to this.

(BANE puts the phone to FRANK's face.)

BANE - Hey! Greet Big Brother Fire and Ice!

FRANK - Greetings Big Brother Fire and Ice!

BANE - See! That's the one who is driving me. The other one is following...

(BANE turns around but doesn't see MARTIN following along.)

BANE - Hey! Where did the other one go?

(He turns to FRANK.)

BANE - Didn't I tell your line brother to follow me?

FRANK - Yes Big Brother Oh Fuck.

BANE - Shit! Did we lose him or something? Ken, let me call you back bruh.

KEN - Wait!

(click)

BANE - Pull over!

(FRANK pulls over. They had just gotten off the exit toward Ahpla and are only a few minutes from campus.)

BANE - What the hell happened to your boy? Call him on the cell phone.

FRANK - Big Brother Oh Fuck, we only have one cell phone between the two of us that we are allowed to use and I have it.

BANE - You're only... shit!

(BANE turns around again.)

BANE - Wait here!

(BANE opens his door and steps out to look back.)

BANE thinks - What the hell... did that dude crash or somethin'...

(BANE gets back in the car.)

BANE - Let's just wait here a few minutes. Maybe you lost him with all that crazy swirving you were doing in.

(All of a sudden, they see the car go past.)

BANE - Hey! That's him right there! Wasn't that the car?

FRANK - Yes!

BANE - Where the hell is he going?

FRANK - I don't know Big Brother.

BANE - Follow his ass!

(FRANK steps on it and drives behind MARTIN who is driving quite fast.)

BANE - He's going right past campus! What the... keep up with him!

FRANK - I'm tryin' I'm tryin'!

(MARTIN goes through a red light. FRANK has to stop because of traffic.)

BANE - Shit! What's wrong with that guy!

(When the light turns green FRANK screeches and drives fast after the car.)

BANE - Do you see him ahead?

FRANK - Um... oh look! There he is! He pulled over! Maybe he didn't see us when he drove past!

BANE - Well his ass is about to see me now! Pull over behind him!

(BANE slaps FRANK in the back of the head again.)

BANE - Yall just made your night ten times worse! Don't fuck with Big Brother Oh Fuck!

(FRANK pulls over and BANE gets out. He walks over to the driver side of the car. As BANE is walking, another car pulls up from behind with MARTIN driving.)

MARTIN - Frank! Frank get in!

(FRANK looks to his right and sees MARTIN driving another car.)

MARTIN - Hurry up! Get in!

(FRANK jumps out of BANE's car and into the passenger seat of the car that MARTIN is driving. BANE bangs on the glass of the first car that had pulled over. The window rolls down.)

MAX - Hey! You're kinda cute... don't I know you from somewhere?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK - Gin, what did you do?

(GINGER pauses.)

GINGER - Well I ordered the cake and Renee told me later of my mistake. I called the cake place so they can fix it and they said they could try to change it but they couldn't guarantee that they could have it corrected in time. So just in case its wrong, I just wanted to let you know in advance.

BUCK - What did you do?

(silence)

GINGER - I did the colors in black and gold instead of purple and gold.

BUCK - You did what!

GINGER - I'm sorry! I didn't know.

(BUCK pauses and then starts to laugh.)

BUCK - Okay okay... its okay. You know me and my bruhs can't eat it right! Ha ha ha ha!

GINGER - Yall won't?

(GINGER is whining now.)

BUCK - Naw, I'm just kidding. Its okay. Its just a mistake. Well Ronnie definitely won't eat it.

RONNIE - Won't eat what?

GINGER - I am so sorry. You know I don't know about sororities and stuff.

BUCK - Its okay. Maybe they can get it changed by the time of the party.

GINGER - I hope so. I am so sorry baby.

BUCK - Its okay.

GINGER - Oooh! I forgot I'm on the other line! I got Camille on hold!

BUCK - Camille the Delta?

GINGER - I guess. Frank's girl.

BUCK - Oh yeah.

GINGER - She is volunteering her services too. You got some real cool friends.

BUCK - Damn this thing is gonna be huge!

GINGER - You deserve it though. You're a great guy and birthdays only come around once a year.

BUCK - Yeah I guess.

GINGER - Well look, let me get back to her and I'll call you later on okay?

BUCK - Okay.

(They hang up.)

RONNIE - What was that all about?

BUCK - Nothing. Just jokes.

RONNIE - Oh okay.

BUCK - I know one thing. This shit is gonna be big. Its like the whole campus is coming.

KENNY - Hell yeah! I can't wait!

(BUCK sits back and holds his head.)

BUCK - God. I see this being a headache already.

KENNY - Naw dude, I'm tellin' you. You're gonna be so happy man. With all the bruhs and the people that care about you. This is the last birthday that we're gonna have you here with us. So let;\'s send you off right. Ya know?

BUCK - Yeah. I know.

RONNIE - You don't sound so excited bruh. What's up?

(BUCK looks away.)

BUCK - Naw, I'm cool dog I'm cool..

RONNIE - Bruh, I done known you a long time. A real long time. You can't pull that shit with me. What's up?

(silence)

(BUCK looks back.)

BUCK - No, seriously. I'm fine. Its just that... this birthday... its just different ya know?

TY - How so?

BUCK - I guess...

(He thinks before he says what is in his heart.)

BUCK - ...I guess because its my last one here at Amgis.

(silence)

BUCK - I'm really gonna miss this place.

No comments: