Monday, February 11, 2008

Episode 32

GWEN is in her room talking on the telephone.

GWEN - I'm just not in the mood.

CAMILLE - Come on Gwen! Its the bruhs! You gotta come!

GWEN - No Camille.

CAMILLE - Why not?

GWEN - I've told you a hundred times already. I'm just in a bad mood right now. Somebody pissed me off.

CAMILLE - What! Who I gotta beat up?

(They laugh.)

GWEN - I'm serious. I'm not going out.

CAMILLE - Do you realize everyone is going? And Kenny told me that there may be something going on at the house after the party that just the bruhs and the sorors can stay for.

GWEN - I don't care. Tell me how it was.

CAMILLE - Aw come on Gwen! Dag girl why you such a party pooper?

GWEN - I'm not going Camille.

CAMILLE - I'll give you a dollar.

(GWEN smiles.)

GWEN - No because you'll only ask to borrow it back next week.

CAMILLE - But you know I'm good for it! Wait, hold on...

(GWEN can hear CAMILLE in the background talking to TIA.)

CAMILLE - Huh? Oh yeah, I'm on the phone with her now. What? Some silliness bout she aint goin'. Yeah girl, but I'm gonna get her. Hold on. Hey I'm back.

GWEN - I'm not going Camille.

CAMILLE - Come on Gwen! Please! I'll gurantee you'll have a good time.

GWEN - I just don't...

(There is a knock on the door.)

GWEN thinks - Who the hell is...

GWEN - Hold on Camille.

(She puts the phone down and walks over to the door. She opens it and starts to close it immediately.)

CALVIN - Wait! Wait! I just wanna talk.

(She doesn't close the door.)

GWEN - Some other time. Right now I'm just...

CALVIN - No wait, just give me five minutes.

(silence)

GWEN - Five minutes.

CALVIN - That's all I ask for.

(silence)

(She steps aside to let him in.)

CALVIN - Thank you.

GWEN - Five minutes.

CALVIN - Yeah, five minutes.

GWEN - Hold on.

(She walks over and picks her phone up.)

GWEN - Hello?

CAMILLE - So you coming?

GWEN - No, I gotta go.

CAMILLE - You gotta go? Why? Are you coming or not?

GWEN - Call me tomorrow.

CAMILLE - Tomorrow? Wait!

GWEN - What?

CAMILLE - Um... so how you doin'?

GWEN - Good bye.

CAMILLE - No wait wait!

(CLICK)

(GWEN unplugs her phone and turns toward CALVIN.)

(silence)

CALVIN - Um... can I sit down?

(She motions that it is okay for him to sit. She stands.)

CALVIN - Thanks. How you doin'?

(She doesn't answer but looks at her watch.)

CALVIN - Okay okay, five minutes.

GWEN - Four minutes and forty five seconds.

CALVIN - Damn, alright. Well since I'm seriously on the clock... listen...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BANE and ROBBIE are in BANE's car. They are driving to Ahpla University.

ROBBIE - We mad late.

BANE - I know Rob, you said it like eight thousand times already.

ROBBIE - I'm sayin' though.

BANE - Just chill out, we'll get there.

ROBBIE - Yeah, when everybody's leavin'.

BANE - So then we go hang out. Shit man, stop complainin' like a bitch. We're only a few minutes away.

ROBBIE - Nigga please. Hurry up.

(silence)

BANE - Oh, this that new cut with Usher and Little John. This shit is bangin'. Turn it up.

(ROBBIE turns the radio up.)

BANE - Yeah! Yeah!

ROBBIE - Man, that must be you fuckin' up the hymn whenever we sing. You sure nuff got a horrible singing voice.

BANE - Shut the hell up!

(ROBBIE laughs.)

ROBBIE - You just focus on driving and not on singing, aight?

BANE - Shut up.

(silence)

BANE - I saw your chick on the yard.

ROBBIE - Who?

BANE - Leah.

ROBBIE - What was she talkin' bout.

BANE - She was telling me how happy she is now that she left your sorry ass.

ROBBIE - Oh please! I gets that whenever I wants that, you understand?

BANE - Yeah, uh huh.

ROBBIE - I don't know what you talking bout? You aint had none since it had you! Ha ha ha ha ha!

BANE - What? I be knockin' em down bruh! You didn't know?

ROBBIE - No I didn't know!

BANE - Oh you must not have heard the buzz on the yard my brother! Bane is the man!

ROBBIE - Uh huh.

(ROBBIE is smiling.)

ROBBIE - Name one girl you've boned in the last six months.

BANE - Nigga, you know I'm messin' with Jessica.

ROBBIE - Who?

BANE - You know Jessica. Light skin honey. Real cute.

ROBBIE - Oh yeah! You hittin' that?

BANE - Yeah. You didn't know?

ROBBIE - Naw.

BANE - Yeah man. We met in the union and she's been on a brother ever since. She's cool, but she's gettin' too into me. Ya know?

ROBBIE - Yeah, I hear that.

BANE - I gotta keep her far back. She's cool to hit, but I aint tryin' to have a wifey right now. Feel me?

ROBBIE - No doubt.

BANE - She's cute though.

ROBBIE - Oh yeah, she's mad cute. I gotta give you dap for that shit. I take back what I said!

BANE - That's right nigga, Bane is the man!

(They both laugh as BANE turns into the gates of Ahpla University.)

ROBBIE - This should be good timing.

(ROBBIE checks his watch.)

ROBBIE - Yeah, we straight. Find a parking spot.

(BANE parks and they walk toward the engineering building on campus. ROBBIE's cell phone rings.)

ROBBIE - Hello?

TAMMI - Hey.

ROBBIE - Hey wassup, I just got to Ahpla and I'm about to go in.

TAMMI - Oh okay cool. I'm sorry.

ROBBIE - Its okay. I'll just call you when I come out okay?

TAMMI - Okay bye.

ROBBIE - Bye.

(ROBBIE hangs up and puts his phone back on his hip.)

ROBBIE - Do you know Tammi came up to me with some bullshit, talkin' bout she wants to be a Zeta and she's been talking to Leah about it?

BANE - What!

(BANE starts to laugh loudly.)

ROBBIE - Nigga it aint funny!

BANE - Yes it is! You about to be caught up in some shit! Ha ha ha ha ha!

ROBBIE - Shut the hell up! And calm down so we can go up in here. Shit!

(ROBBIE knocks on the door. BANE is still laughing. The door opens.)

QUINTON - Oh wassup bros! Come on in. Yall just in time. We bout to vote on this character named Max to make our line.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GWEN - I'm listening.

(CALVIN gets a serious look on his face.)

CALVIN - Look, I didn't mean to find out what I did. But to be honest with you Gwen, I'm glad I did.

GWEN - What!

CALVIN - Shhhhh, you said I have four miutes. I can't go back and forth with you.

(GWEN gets quiet as she folds her arms.)

CALVIN - Thank you. I'm not mad that I found out because I had no idea about... lupus. I didn't even know what it was. And now I do.

(silence)

CALVIN - And I think instead of being quiet about it, its better if I'm here for you as a friend. As someone who cares about you and wants to be here for you.

(silence)

CALVIN - I didn't know shit about Lupus but a lot of people... a lot of women... have died from it. And I think a lot of people on campus need to know about this.

(silence)

CALVIN - Basically all I wanna say is this, and if you want me to leave after that, I will. I didn't mean to upset you or pry into your personal life. I didn't mean to uncover things that are uncomfortable or hurtful for you. I found out by accident but am glad that I know. And I'm here. I'm here for you because I do like you, I like you a lot. Dating aside, I think you are a great person and...

(He pauses.)

CALVIN - ... I'm just sorry that you got hurt by me offering to help.

(silence)

CALVIN - Thats it.

(silence)

CALVIN - So if you want me to leave...

GWEN - I don't... you don't have to leave. But you're... you're trying to understand something that you can't. Everyone wants to surround someone with sympathy and be all kind for a few days. But this is something that I have to live with for the rest of my life. And who knows how long that life with be? How can someone cope with that? Someone like you looking from the outside in? How?

CALVIN - I don't know. But you can't push us out if we try and help.

(She sits down.)

GWEN - You have no idea what you're saying.

CALVIN - What do you mean?

(silence)

CALVIN - I don't understand.

GWEN - If you knew what its like when I get sick or if I miss my medication... I don't know if you'd be so eager to step up to the plate the way you are claiming to now.

CALVIN - I think I'd be even more eager.

(silence)

(CALVIN reaches over and takes GWEN's hand.)

CALVIN - Please. Don't turn me away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Omega Psi Phi house is jam packed with people. Every floor of the house is packed, there are people in all the rooms, the music is loud and they have already run out of drinks.

KENNY - I want you two to get us more drinks! Now!

MARCUS - Okay...um... where do we go?

KENNY - Actually, only one of you go! Rashim, you go! Marcus you stay here and cater to our guests!

MARCUS - Um... okay.

KENNY - Rashim, you get to the supermarket and start to buy up shit! Just all kinds of shit.

RASHIM - But I don't have any...

KENNY - Hurry up! Go!

(RASHIM turns quickly to leave and in the process bumps into someone much taller than he is.)

RASHIM - Oh... excuse me... I'm sorry... I was just...

BUCK - Watch where you're goin' man.

RASHIM - Yes... yes... I will... I'm um... sorry... I was...

BUCK - Go ahead man. Get on. Be out.

(RASHIM quickly goes around BUCK and heads to the front door.)

KENNY - Dog, where you been? We been lookin' all over for ya!

BUCK - What the hell is all this?

(BUCK looks around and sees all the students crammed into the frat house.)

KENNY - We was just doin' a little celebration type party. Ya know. But yall got yall's asses kicked!

BUCK - Yeah, bad night.

KENNY - Bad night, you didn't play or some shit I heard.

BUCK - Yeah, I'm on injured reserve.

KENNY - Damn.

BUCK - Yeah, shit is fucked up.

KENNY - Yeah, so what about...

JUNE - Buck!

(BUCK turns around.)

BUCK - Hey Princess.

JUNE - Where the hell have you been? You weren't even at the game.

(KENNY tips away.)

JUNE - I've been calling your cell phone and it kept going to voice mail.

BUCK - It did?

(BUCK pulls out his cell phone.)

BUCK - That's strange. See, its on.

JUNE - Well did you get my messages?

(BUCK looks at his phone.)

BUCK - Oh, I didn't even hear it beep. There are two messages on here.

JUNE - Yeah, two from me. Where were you during the game?

BUCK - I had to step out. I couldn't sit there and watch them play without me. Especially that fool Malcolm.

JUNE - Oh my God he was awful! I felt so bad for him.

BUCK - He talks so much shit, that's what he gets.

JUNE - So where were you? In the locker room or something?

BUCK - Naw, I stepped out completely. I had to be out.

JUNE - You left the gym?

BUCK - Yeah.

JUNE - Well where did you go?

BUCK - I left the gym and went over to Ginger's place.

JUNE - You did what!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BANE and ROBBIE walk into the room and greet their frat brothers, QUINTON, JASON, LARRY, REGGIE and BOBBY.

QUINTON - You bros are right on time. We're almost done choosing the line.

BANE - Cool!

ROBBIE - We wanted to get here early to hear all the discussion, but slow poke here drives like an old lady.

BANE - Yeah, I drive like your mom!

(Everyone laughs.)

JASON - We'll update you on where we are so far bros. Dude name Martin. He's straight up an excellent candidate. He's the bomb.

BANE - Oh yeah? Where is he? I got some wood in my trunk!

(Everyone laughs loud.)

JASON - Patience young Skywalker. Patience.

(Everyone laughs again.)

JASON - Martin's father is frat and he has a real high gpa. Like three eight or something. He runs track too.

ROBBIE - Good shit.

JASON - We're talkin' about a dude named Max right now and it got heated up in here.

BANE - Just the way its supposed to! Heated! I love it!

JASON - Some bros are politicin' for him, some bros are against him.

BOBBY - Cuz he's a shady bitch!

LARRY - So how much heat was there when they voted you in the chapter? That shit must've been like satan's finger.

(Everyone laughs.)

JASON - As you can see, bros are arguing over Max. So we was just about to vote when yall came in.

ROBBIE - Don't let us interrupt, proceed.

JASON - Aight. Let's get back to it. All in favor of Max becoming a member of this chapter, raise your hand.

(JASON counts.)

JASON - All opposed.

(JASON counts then writes something down on the paper that he has.)

JASON - Aight bros, Max is in.

BOBBY - This is bullshit. You'll see.

LARRY - Vote's over. Next.

(BOBBY shows that he has an attitude.)

JASON - Now we have Frank.

QUINTON - Okay, now this cat got his grades changed but what's up with the fact that he had to get them changed in the first place.

JASON - What do you mean?

QUINTON - I'm saying. Alphas are about scholarship. He had to get the grade changed just so he could be at the bare minimum requirement that we ask. That isn't an accomplishment. The bare minimum.

REGGIE - Yeah but he got it done. Maybe his desire for Alpha was what fueled him studying harder.

QUINTON - Maybe his desire for an education should've been fueling him in the first place.

LARRY - So are you saying that we shouldn't vote him into the frat? I think he's a good dude.

QUINTON - No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that we shouldn't vote him into the frat now.

LARRY - Is there an echo in here... and echo in here? Isn't that what I just said?

QUINTON - No. I think we should vote him into the frat next year. We aint goin' nowhwere and he's only a sophomore. Alpha Phi Alpha will be here. So will he. We should use this year to monitor his progress in school.

BOBBY thinks - Next year?

BOBBY - I don't think we should wait. He's eligible now.

QUINTON - Yeah but how did he become eligible? By the skin of his teeth?

BOBBY - What difference does it make how he did it? The point is, he got what we require for him to have.

BANE - Yeah, I mean he is in the ballpark now. We don't ask them to have a certain gpa above the minimum. Just be above the minimum.

BOBBY - Yeah, by listening to Quinton, we might as well raise the bar and raise the minimum.

QUINTON - Honestly, we should!

BOBBY - Yeah but if we did that, half of us wouldn't be here.

(Everyone looks at QUINTON for his reply.)

(silence)

QUINTON - All I'm sayin' is we would be doing another Black man a disservice by letting him into our brotherhood, which to him is an extracurricular activity. He needs to check his curriculum now, and add nothing extra.

BOBBY - So you're saying we only have two boys this year?

QUINTON - What's wrong with having only two?

BOBBY - That's whack. We never had a line that small here. We at least have three every year.

QUINTON - So what?

BANE - We'd probably kill two dudes. You think they'll be able to get through?

QUINTON - If three can do it, two can do it. What the hell does the number have to do with anything? You'd be willing to water down the chapter just to have a larger line?

BOBBY - We might as well, we already got shady niggas comin' in.

ROBBIE - Low blow.

JASON - Aight aight, that's enough about Max okay!

(Everyone is silent.)

JASON - Does anyone else have anything to say about Frank before we vote?

(Everyone is silent.)

JASON - Okay. Everyone in favor of Frank, please raise their hand.

(JASON counts.)

JASON - Everyone opposed.

(JASON counts and writes something down.)

JASON - Okay bros, we got three this year.

BANE - Good shit!

JASON - Thanks brothers for the discussion and for all of yall's participation and support. I'm excited about this year, and about getting started. I'll hit everyone by email and let yall know what the first course of action will be.

BOBBY - Cool. Thanks J.

(JASON sits down and BOBBY walks back to the front of the room.)

BOBBY - Aight, if there isn't anything else, I think we can adjourn and go hang out.

JASON - That's all I had.

BOBBY - Reggie.

REGGIE - Naw, I'm straight.

BOBBY - Aight. I say we go to Fridays.

QUINTON - I can't. I gotta go see my girl.

BOBBY - You pussy whipped nigga!

QUINTON - Nigga shut up!

(Everyone laughs.)

QUINTON - I'll holla at yall later. Oh six!

BANE - Peace sands!

(Everyone starts to leave. BANE walks up to LARRY.)

BANE - Hey man, you were holding strong for your boy Max.

LARRY - Yeah man. Had to. That's my boy.

BANE - You think he got what it takes to make it through the process?

LARRY - Oh yeah. He's tough enough. I can vouch for him.

BANE - Cool cool.

(BANE pauses.)

BANE - You willin' to put it to the test?

LARRY - What you mean?

(BANE looks around, then whispers.)

BANE - Let's go to Max's place and fuck with him. See how tough he really is!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK - I went over to Ginger's place.

(silence)

JUNE - You did what!

BUCK - What?

(JUNE is staring at BUCK.)

JUNE - You went to Ginger's house? What you go over there for!

BUCK - Wait, hold on. Follow me.

(BUCK takes her hand and leads her through the crowd toward the stairs. They go upstairs. BUCK is holding her hand and JUNE is following through people hanging out on the stairs.)

BUCK - Excuse me, excuse me...

TY - Roo! Roo! Be out dog! What's up!

BUCK - What's up dog!

TY - Dog, this party is off the hook!

BUCK - Yeah, give me a second okay? I'll be right back out!

TY - Aight dog!

(BUCK leads JUNE into a crowded room.)

BUCK - Everyone listen up!

(He flicks the lights.)

BUCK - Everybody out of this room! Now! Come on lets go!

(Everyone is complaining as BUCK ushers them out.)

BUCK - Come on in.

(JUNE steps into the room and BUCK closes the door. Its a lot more quiet with the door closed. He turns to face her after he closes the door.)

BUCK - Now what were you saying?

JUNE - What in the world did you go to Ginger's place for? I mean what the hell Buck?

BUCK - What's wrong with me going to Ginger's house?

JUNE - Well for one thing, you were supposed to be playing basketball!

BUCK - Look, I told you that I couldn't play and I didn't feel like sitting there be somebody's water boy! Especially Malcolm!

JUNE - So instead you going visit some chick?

BUCK - It's not some chick, it was Ginger!

JUNE - I don't care who it was, it was some chick to me!

BUCK - Well that chick was the one who picked out that phat ass rock you got on your finger!

JUNE -I don't care! That's her job! She's supposed to pick out phat ass rocks!

BUCK - I can't believe you are trippin' like this!

JUNE - I aint the one going to see strange women! What if I just up and went to visit some nigga one day?

BUCK - Come on June, you act like I went up and visited Leah or something! It isn't that big of a deal!

JUNE - Yes it is Buck!

BUCK - Look, you need to calm down!

JUNE - And you need to grow the hell up! Stop acting like a cry baby when you can't be the star on the damn team! And you totally disrespected me and didn't even consider my feelings!

BUCK - You are really making this deep and its so surface! God!

JUNE - I can't believe you!

BUCK - I can't believe you're making such a big deal out of nothing!

(silence)

BUCK - I thought you and Ginger were cool. Yall got along great when she sized you up.

JUNE - Buck, I wouldn't care if you left the gym and went to visit PJ! That shit is not appropriate!

BUCK - Okay, now I know you trippin'! So now you're saying all females are just off limits to me? If it aint one of the bruhs or one of my boys or teammates or something, I better not be seen with them huh?

JUNE - Don't make fun of me and do not patronize me!

(JUNE starts to walk past BUCK.)

BUCK - Hey, where are you going?

JUNE - I don't even want to be here anymore!

BUCK - Hold up, we're not finished talking!

JUNE - Go talk to Ginger!

(BUCK grabs her arm.)

BUCK - Now wait a minute baby, don't get carried away. We're not finished and we promised each other we would never do this. Come on now.

(JUNE stops but she is pissed.)

BUCK - Now look, I'm not trying to make you upset.

(silence)

BUCK - I mean shit, if I had known you'd get this upset, I could've saved you the headache and just not told you.

JUNE - What!

(JUNE storms past him and opens the door.)

BUCK - What? Where are you...

(As soon as JUNE opens the door, CLARENCE walks in.)

CLARENCE - Okay everybody ou... oh Buck... man what the hell you got interested boys at the front door selling tickets for!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALVIN and GWEN are seated in a booth at the Twenty Four Seven Diner.

CALVIN - I'm so glad you let me take you out to get a bite.

GWEN - You must be, you've been smiling ever since we left my place.

CALVIN - No I haven't!

GWEN - Okay stop smiling for five seconds.

CALVIN - What's with you and the time limits?

(They both laugh.)

CALVIN - But I'm starvin' and I was praying that you wanted to get something to eat.

GWEN - And you were in luck, I'm starvin' too.

(The waitress comes over.)

WAITRESS - Welcome to the Twenty Four Seven, can I get you guys something to drink to start off?

GWEN - Water with lemon.

CALVIN - Sprite please.

WAITRESS - Okay.

(The waitress walks away.)

CALVIN - Thanks for letting me bring you here though.

GWEN - You got the car.

CALVIN - You know what I mean.

(GWEN laughs.)

GWEN - Thanks for helping me lift my spirits. A little.

CALVIN - Yeah.

GWEN - This is a serious journey for me. And sometimes it just gets me down.

CALVIN - Well at least you don't have to walk it alone. I was even thinking maybe you could host a program on it on campus through Delta. Maybe some of my frat could...

GWEN - Whoa whoa! No way! Uh uh!

CALVIN - Okay okay, my big ideas get me in trouble all the time.

GWEN - Yeah, it was hard enough admitting to you. I aint making this a campus pity party.

CALVIN - I understand.

(He takes her hand again.)

CALVIN - As long as you know I got your back with whatever you need.

GWEN - We'll see Cal.

(They both smile.)

MIKE - Oh wait a minute!

(Both GWEN and CALVIN look up to see MIKE who is walking into the diner with MONA's little sister MIYA.)

MIKE - Not the white boy! Please tell me you aint dealin' with the white boy!

No comments: